PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Deal breaker for me. Those pipes get tossed.
Same here. That's why I only buy pipes I can test before. I always ask for a pipe cleaner (or bring my own) and try it. If a curved pipe takes some tries, that's ok by me. But not too many.

mpjetset

Might Stick Around
If the pipe is gurgling you can drill it out some.
Ive done it will perfect results, just be careful.
If its not gurgling, don't worry about it.
I have several pipes that don't pass a cleaner but they smoke perfectly well.
It's more common for this to be a non issue than an issue.....in my experience.
A friend drilled a pipe out at my kitchen table for me. I was so amazed at the difference that I asked him to do a couple more. 25 pipes later, I couldn't be happier. I don't have the guts to do it myself though. Some were $1,000 range, and although I prefer to make my own mistakes I trusted him completely. Highly recommended!

Reactions: Sig

mpjetset

Might Stick Around
Several seemed to have misunderstood my question. Not talking about the draw/ draft hole.... SNIP
Sorry, I got caught up in the drilling out to improve the DRAW but let me say it improved flavor. I smoke cool, just on the edge of a gurgle, and the larger passageway pulls a little more moisture - where flavor is carried from - through the stem. I know it's not for everyone but trying it on a cheap basket pipe may yield favorable results on your gurgle, too.

Reactions: gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
If you have a friend who plays guitar get him to give you a couple of used low E or low A wound strings. Cut them to size, and insert them into the stem before using a pipe cleaner. The stiff string should clean out the problem area very quickly, and a pipe cleaner should pass through easily after that.

Faster and less problematic than bristle pipe cleaners, which in my opinion are tools of the devil.

Reactions: mpjetset