PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
When inserting a pipe cleaner, several of my pipes require a twist or two to get the pipe cleaner past the mortise all the way down to the bowl. No big deal at all. A couple of them require not only crimping the pipe cleaner at the end, but 7 or 8 attempts and some colorful language. It occurred to me that I might kiss the end of the mortise with a drill bit, in order to ease the passage of the pipe cleaner, but then I thought that might bugger the physics of the airflow or something. So how to fix this, aside from mailing the pipe to someone ? Not an uncommon problem I'm sure.

Reactions: grimpeur

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Pipe cleaner not being able to get to the bottom of the chamber is basically biggest problem that really doesn't make any difference in smoking quality.

If you're doing this while smoking, there are other options. Light but sharp blow into the stem to clear the moisture. Cup the bowl and flick. Disassemble and properly clean mortise and draught.

If you are doing this to cold pipe, disassemble and properly clean the pipe. Mortise is where the crap collects.

Pipe cleaner test really doesn't prove anything other than the carver wasn't hungover/drunk/having sex while drilling. Drilling anything other than the pipe that is.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I have a few like that. I've learned to live with the gurgling until the pipe has cooled down. The take it apart to clean. Or, if I think something plugged the airway, I'll let it go out. The flip it upside down, cover the bowl with my fingers but allowing air to flow through, and blow it out. And I always end up with pipe ash in my beard with an oom paul/ hungarian.

• Haha
Reactions: BingBong

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
If the pipe is gurgling you can drill it out some.
Ive done it will perfect results, just be careful.
If its not gurgling, don't worry about it.
I have several pipes that don't pass a cleaner but they smoke perfectly well.
It's more common for this to be a non issue than an issue.....in my experience.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
While it’s not a problem for me, clearly it is for some people. Sell the pipe, or try fixing it, it’s not your technique at fault.

Making an analogy with a semiautomatic firearm, where a cartridge is stripped from a magazine and pushed into the chamber, may need a feed ramp on the mortise. A conical drill bit, like those sold as screw countersinks, should do the job. The slower the taper, the better.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
When inserting a pipe cleaner, several of my pipes require a twist or two to get the pipe cleaner past the mortise all the way down to the bowl. No big deal at all. A couple of them require not only crimping the pipe cleaner at the end, but 7 or 8 attempts and some colorful language. It occurred to me that I might kiss the end of the mortise with a drill bit, in order to ease the passage of the pipe cleaner, but then I thought that might bugger the physics of the airflow or something. So how to fix this, aside from mailing the pipe to someone ? Not an uncommon problem I'm sure.
Some pipe makers drill a 'guiding groove' to help coax pipe cleaners into the stummel's air hole.

Reactions: seanv

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I bought this, I think it is 4 mm. I use it to clean out my pipes and do a light drill if the pipe cleaner is catching. By design, unless I'm really stupid, I'm not going to cause any serious damage. It has served me well.

View attachment 317702
hand tools are under-rated. power tools empower me to screw things up in a jif. For me, even a geared hand drill is a dangerous weapon of uncertain destruction.

Last edited:

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
The situation & remedy is discussed at length here:

Thanks @georged. Perfect. This confirms my idea, only with a more appropriate bit. I know exactly what you mean by the danger of the bit "grabbing" the wood, so sanding it to remove the sharpness makes great sense. God bless this forum, as it were.

Reactions: FLDRD and seanv

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
On some pipes, end of tenon does not get close enough to the hole in the shank. thus the cleaner tend to "drop" and hit the cavity in between and not going anywhere. This "drop" tendency gets worse on bent stems. Not much you can do really - tapering the hole in the shank may help to some extent, but not much.
Some tenon got square end, some got tapered hole (good for airway/gradual diameter change) but tend to "drop" the end of the cleaner and hitting the lowerside of the shank cavity.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't think any of that's a problem. I don't use pipe cleaners while smoking. If I get a gurgle I use the pick from the pipe tool to loosen up the dottle a bit. Dump ash and stir the tobacco and tamp down to a better level. Doesn't happen often but kills gurgles which only happen with tobaccos I don't have the best pack down for yet (that yet can be a long one on some occasions). And I always take the stem out after a smoke to clean the mortise because that's where it gets nastiest.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Several seemed to have misunderstood my question. Not talking about the draw/ draft hole. Not talking about gurgling. Not going to discard a pipe over a simple problem. As georged points out in his thread, this problem is not unusual even among four-figure scandinavian pipes, among others.

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
I have a few stems and shanks that won’t pass a cleaner, I just clean as far as I can, and they work fine. For me this would only become an issue if the tar blocked the smoke draw or really reduced it, until then I don’t worry about it. So far so good…