PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I recently posted requesting some help in aging this tin of Davidoff. Roth helped by determining it to probably be from the 90's. Admittedly at that I felt slightly dissapointed. I acquired this from a pipe/ cigar shop several years ago that was closing out their last remaining pipe tobaccos. They were known for having some incredible vintage stocks. Unfortunately upon my arrival they had no pipes left and only a few tins of tobacco left at $6 each. 3 of which I purchased. Upon opening this one recently I was impressed at the amount of age I saw from the discolored paper. My mind however jumped the gun, I was assuming 80's or so and therefore was slightly let down. Roth was quick to tell me to not be disapointed that I was most likely in for a sublime smoke. He was definately on the money here.
00BC6246-3B14-499D-8F20-E25ADD6A7B2E-17860-000016954FC6809C.jpg

I normally don't pair my pipe tobacco with a beverage, but occasionally do. After smelling this when I opened the tin I immediately knew which scotch would be hitting my glass tonight. A fine Islay scotch to me is perfect with an English blend. Laphroaig 18 yr is an expression that I felt with hold enough complexity to meld perfectly with the tobacco while not overpowering with peat and smoke. The pairing of latakia in an english and peat from an islay is one that was meant to be IMO. On to the tobacco we go.
The smell from the tin gives a definite sweetness off, I expected to notice a sweetness of dried fruit in the smell, but instead am greeted with a sweetness closer resembling molasses with a little clove. The nose leads me to believe the latakia will be the star of the show here
Charring/true light:

Not much here besides a very smooth tobacco. a small amount of latakia coming forward, but not much to speak of.
First third:

As soon as the tobacco starts to cool from the light a new face reveals itself. A softer smoke this definately is going to be. Not the english I would normally reach for, but an experience to be remembered no doubt. The Virginia's seem to hold their own nicely with the latakia bringing a smokey nuance to the background. The virginia's bring a nice toasted nuttiness with a mild sweetness like a good fruit preserve. A small amount of spice lingers in the back of my mouth. As I near the second third this spice starts to slowly fade from existence
Second third:

As the spice subsides the sweetness starts to mellow, allowing the smokiness of the latakia to begin to announce itself. The latakia is just enough of a smokiness to appease my pallette a little more. The expectations I have of an english are definately with this blend right now. Though the sweet nuttiness at first was pleasant it left me wanting for more notes of the latakia. The complexity here leaves me quite intrigued, so much more in the background that I cannot put my finger on, time has definately done this mixture no injustice.
Final third:

Up to now I have neglected the scotch, but as the spice begins to appear again I take a small sip. To me this scotch pairs absolutely perfectly. Laphroaig is one of my favorite Islays. This 18 yr expression shows the peaty smokiness of an islay completely balanced with a nice sweetness, while only slightly dry. I can even say it enhances this experience. Please, excuse my rabbit chase. Scotch is another love of mine. An interesting depth of sweetness appears in these final depths of this bowl. It reminds me of a cross between a fine rum, and a sherry casked highland scotch. The latakia once again sits lonely in the background, only casually making its presence known. Now the only real problem with this smoke has arisen, since I chose my Boswell canadian the short bowl has ended too soon...
My final impression:

Ultimately for me when it comes to an english I typically prefer something much more forward in Latakia(squadron leader and Nightcap are some favorites). And given the chance to buy some more of this at the price I purchased it at. I undoubtedly would scrape every last spare penny to buy as much as possible. To go out of my way and spend extra on it as a vintage with higher cost, not as much.. Tonight I was looking forward to trying this and am in no way truly let down by this tobacco. It is exquisite and I'm glad I was able to try it. I have a couple of bowls left for the 4th and jarred the rest. I simply couldn't bring myself to wait till the 4th to try it.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
Wow very thorough review. Didn't see this before I posted. I agree, despite others comments there is nothing aromatic about it.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Thanks fellas, i enjoy doing a review I just rarely get the time to do one properly. I sit back with nothing else going to give it my full attention. I more than likely will pick up a fresh tin to sample next order.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.