chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
img_0167-600x448.jpg

What style rustication is this?

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
Gardesana / Lorenzo reject. There's likely a single 'ITALY' stamp on the shank. The pattern begins with trying to conceal a flaw (pit, knag, etc), and the replicating it until the entire surface is covered. Not as much a style as a disguise.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
img_0163-600x448.jpg

Here's another angle. I was looking at ebay and came across the ugliest pipe that was a kit someone started. It looked basically like they just sanded the edges of the ebauchon and then called it a pipe. I scored it for $16 and then made a pipe out of it. I wanted to try to do a rustication.
Turned out pretty good.. I mean it really looks like a "real" pipe. Deep bowl. The bowl was drilled a bit off center so the symmetry is off but with the rustication it is not as noticeable than if it was smooth.
So now that you know it was made by me. What do you think?

Don't worry about hurting my feelings I'll say I think the taper at the top of the bowl is a bit too thin. I only hand waxed it. Maybe a power buff will bring more shine to the smooth parts. I kinda like it as is though.

First I dyed it all black. Then I rusticated with some dots, then some squiggles.

Then I dyed it all dark walnut. Then I sanded it so most of the black dye was gone and just some grain was darkened. At that point the rusticated parts retained all the dark walnut dye.

Final step was natural color dye then a hand rubbing with wax. Used the dremel for rustication and a couple touches with the small dremel polishing bit to get the wax out of some of the crags.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
Looks great - you've mastered the technique employed by the aforementioned italian pipers.

Take a look at Micoli pipes if you like using the dremel.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice work,especially for your first! A Dremel is great IMHO for rusticating.Using different burs you can create a bunch of different looks. I like to use dental burs.

Status
Not open for further replies.