PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Eggs are weird when I stop to think that I'm eating chicken periods.

My brother has traveled often in China for work and his cohorts over there love taking the gringos out for exotic, authentic Chinese cuisine. He's had several kinda of snake meat, pickled mice, steamed chicken legs, and all sorts of other stuff that's fine to eat, but considered "weird®" to one raised on a typical American and polish American diet.

Speaking of polish American cuisine, I can freak my family out when we're visiting kin in Buffalo, NY and I order the czernina. It's not even the duck's blood that weirds my wife out, it's the prunes and raisins floating in a savory soup.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Durian is wonderful!

I don't think these are weird but I've met lots of people who think I'm weird for eating them;

oysters
snails
frogs legs
pigs trotters (feet)
feijoada - Brazilian/Portuguese black bean and salt pork stew. All bits of a pig can end up in these.
pigs ears
haggis - properly made it can't be sold in the US. (seems sheep lungs don't meet FDA standards...)
black pudding - blood sausage, pretty much every country in Europe has at least one local recipe for this
kangaroo
crocodile
blue cheese - yup, I knew a girl once who was going to throw my Stilton out because it was mouldy
really smelly French cheeses (actually, I just love cheese!)
buttermilk - staple when I was a kid
prairie oysters
eel
seaweed - where my parents live in Northern Ireland seaweed is collected from the local rocks - very fresh (I even had French colleagues think this was 'weird')
game birds
venison
wild boar
salami
garlic soup
garlic ice cream
asparagus soup
asparagus ice cream
horse
ox tongue
fish head soup
stuffed sheep's heart
liver (I prefer pig's to ox but I eat both)
kidneys (I grew up eating steak and kidney pudding, and have had an amazing kidney casserole in France)
nutria
all types of shellfish - except whelks (which is really odd 'cos I like snails but I can't stand whelks)
probably a host of other things I've eaten in Asia and the Middle East too!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Eggs are weird when I stop to think that I'm eating chicken periods.

My brother has traveled often in China for work and his cohorts over there love taking the gringos out for exotic, authentic Chinese cuisine. He's had several kinda of snake meat, pickled mice, steamed chicken legs, and all sorts of other stuff that's fine to eat, but considered "weird®" to one raised on a typical American and polish American diet.

Speaking of polish American cuisine, I can freak my family out when we're visiting kin in Buffalo, NY and I order the czernina. It's not even the duck's blood that weirds my wife out, it's the prunes and raisins floating in a savory soup.
Eggs are delicious.

However, fertilized eggs, when the chick is growing in the egg and boiled hard and eaten is just wrong. I was introduced to them in Japan in 1990, my first run ashore, in a Philopena hostess bar.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Eggs are delicious.

However, fertilized eggs, when the chick is growing in the egg and boiled hard and eaten is just wrong. I was introduced to them in Japan in 1990, my first run ashore, in a Philopena hostess bar.
Balut is a Philippino "speciality"

I'll try most things, but balut and eyes are on my "strictly no-no" list

Years ago my wife and I were at a dinner party at the home of a good friend who happens to be both French and a professional chef.
My wife had several garlicky mini vol-au-vents and complimented our friend on his wonderful pop-in-the-mouth hors d'oeuvres.
When she was told they were snails, she ran out an heaved her stomach out in the flower bed

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Durian IS awesome. For target shooting.
You could attach to a handle and repurpose as a mace.
You can bludgeon someone to death or repel them with the noxious odour rotf

Seriously though, growing up in Malaysia, it is absolutely one of my favourite fruits.
Along with mangosteen (despite its name, absolutely NO relation to mangoes)

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
You could attach to a handle and repurpose as a mace.
You can bludgeon someone to death or repel them with the noxious odour rotf

Seriously though, growing up in Malaysia, it is absolutely one of my favourite fruits.
Along with mangosteen (despite its name, absolutely NO relation to mangoes)

Way back when, I worked on a farm outside Miami, FLA and the proprietor was able to grow mangosteen. I remember liking it, but it's been so long, I forget what it tasted like.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Durian is wonderful!
No it ain't. It's the Devil's own shit!

You missed garlic bread out from the garlic section. ?
we'll have to agree to disagree regarding Durian.

Didn't occur to me that anyone would think garlic bread is weird. I've been eating that since I was a young teenager.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Way back when, I worked on a farm outside Miami, FLA and the proprietor was able to grow mangosteen. I remember liking it, but it's been so long, I forget what it tasted like.
To South East Asians Durian is "The King" and mangosteen "The Queen" of fruits.

But how do you feel about cilantro!?
Absolutely love cilantro/coriander now.
Hated it when I was a kid - couldn't even stand a speck of it. I'd pick it out rather then eat it.
Funny how one's tastes change.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Its supposed to tatse like how Cossackjack says, ripe cantaloup & peaches. Damn, that thing smells like shit and tastes like shit.

Anyone eat ray fish, or shark, or any other fish of that species without hanging it a few days? Ya eat that stuff fresh and it smells and tastes like amonia, my wife (Korean) has had it so fresh, I thought she was cleaning the damn bathroom!
Dog was quite popular here too, with the older folk, not so much thesedays. I've been out hiking in the mountains and run across the dog farms, not good.
Dogs are for working and petting. Not eating!
I've had ray fish in Greece, didn't taste good actually, very few people eat it. It's very cartilaginous and fibrous, not much actual meat. A type of shark is native to the mediterranean can be found in the main Athens fish market from time to time, I bought it once, was not bad but not special either. Now I see it is endangered :( School shark - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shark

Edit: Durian is the most orgasmic fruit, no, food ever. I had a good experience offering it to a very...tasty foodie girl in the UK ;) I think in an Asian country they have a saying "when durians go down sarongs go up".

Coriander...I got the gene mutation which means I only taste stinkbugs with the tiniest shred of this devil weed, I literally can't have even a spec of it on my plate.