PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
My brother was a high performance athlete for 20 years (Rugby player) and that is terrible for anyone's health (any sport) and yet society holds sport in high esteem.
As for there being no tax involved, I don't think so.

Indeed.

I knew well a kid who was All State in HS football, went on to big time college ball, and was drafted into the NFL. Started for two teams---Philadelphia and new Orleans.

He's now a CTE-rattled mess in steep physical decline who needs needs both hips and both knees replaced, and lives in non-stop pain.

He's only in his mid 40's. I doubt he'll last another ten years.

His dad pushed him hard every inch of the way. Reveled in the glory.

The same dad raged at tobacco as if it was methamphetamine.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Did you watch the video?
Life is to be enjoyed, and in enjoying life (and not) folks get hurt, and that’s okay. But again, even at a super simplified level, between an stress-relieving sport that is a great workout and smoking, I’d still pick skateboarding. Just wear a helmet and pads, I doubt he or she wouldn’t, if they took after my pragmatism. Even if they didn’t and got hurt, that’s also okay, and they’d learn to be smarter about it, and if not, that’s life, that’s humans, baby. Either way, smoking or skateboarding from a health standpoint isn’t a good idea, but for those passionate about either, good for them. If it means enjoying life and not going out of the way to hurt anyone, go nuts, people go out of the way to do things they don’t enjoy with little to no care about others anyhow.
Regardless of either or anything at all, people get hurt, and that’s okay.
People hate smokers and people hate skateboarders, hell, some people just relish in hating, but screw them.
Smoke pipes, skate or die, enjoy life, get hurt, and all hail Rodney Mullen.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The question was simple and straightforward:

Which activity would you prefer your child to engage in?

I'm not sure how the choice could be made more clear.
I didn't watch the video. Don't need to. Spent my entire childhood from 5 to 18 skateboarding. Then I traded it for pipe smoking. It's much safer.

My daughter is 10 and we just bought her her first long board because she wanted one for her birthday. I hope when she's older, she trades it for a tobacco pipe too.

I smoke in the car. Always have always will. However I'm banned from it when the daughter is in it. Which I don't argue. However it would be much safer for me to smoke in the car when she's in it, than to skateboard in the car when she's in it!

Blue ridge smoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2020
North Georgia
Everyone I grew up with rode skateboard and surfed. Didn't care or think about being safe. We were indestructible, or so it seemed. Hell, skateboarding was probably one of the "safer " things we did. I got hurt more slalom water skiing and racing dirt bike than I ever did skateboarding Screenshot_20230208-210106_Google.jpg

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Both!
What that video doesn't convey is that skateboarding, when taken to the lifestyle level, can provide a quality of life far beyond what most people will ever achieve. It's not an easy thing to explain to someone unfamiliar with the culture, but if winning in life means racking up the smiles and high fives then skateboarding can get you there. It's one of those things that can make you scream out loud every day because you're so stoked on the , the adventure, the excitement, the brotherhood, the achievement, the inspiration, the fun, etc. ... the whole package.

Here's a glimpse of my buddies and I doing our thing circa 1998 give or take a couple years.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Anytime I see a Georged post I get the Dictionary app ready. It’s fun to learn new words like profundity.

I sit here in a state of profundity as I realize the problem with your question. Teenager is too broad an age group. Who wants their thirteen year old smoking a pipe? Can you imagine little Timmy puffing on a big bowl of Brown Twist? 😁

Mar 1, 2014
With anyone else's kids I'd say Skateboarding is the better option as long as they have a proper helmet and knee and elbow braces.
If I ever manage to have kids they're going to be heavy as a brick house like I was and skateboarding would be life threatening with or without safety equipment.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
I get this on my screen, it plays for me.
Anytime I see a Georged post I get the Dictionary app ready. It’s fun to learn new words like profundity.

I sit here in a state of profundity as I realize the problem with your question. Teenager is too broad an age group. Who wants their thirteen year old smoking a pipe? Can you imagine little Timmy puffing on a big bowl of Brown Twist? 😁
il_570xN.1700042773_fncy.jpg

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Both!
What that video doesn't convey is that skateboarding, when taken to the lifestyle level, can provide a quality of life far beyond what most people will ever achieve. It's not an easy thing to explain to someone unfamiliar with the culture, but if winning in life means racking up the smiles and high fives then skateboarding can get you there. It's one of those things that can make you scream out loud every day because you're so stoked on the , the adventure, the excitement, the brotherhood, the achievement, the inspiration, the fun, etc. ... the whole package.

Here's a glimpse of my buddies and I doing our thing circa 1998 give or take a couple years.
Really enjoyed watching this vid.
Brought back a lot of great memories for me.

Especially loved the “430” pool - what a find that was!

Reactions: Kingsley
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Both!

It is not easy to explain to people unfamiliar with whatever cult.
Last weekend I entirely spent on a exhausting, three day lasting , Argentine Tango chain salon.
250 Friends from all over the world, DJ's etc. Miles and miles of dancing on the most beautiful music ever.
It always brings me living into the moment for 3 days in a state of total bliss.
To me the closest we humans can get to living into the moment .
Unsurpassable . HOKA HEY !