PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm sure we are all familiar with the Kaywoodie "stinger" and the exrra labor associated with cleaning (smaller, stiffer cleaners, etc.)
I have,however notice that in other pipes, weirdness abounds, In my Ciro, there is an odd piece that leaves a fraction of the hole to smoke through. I'd 86 it, but it smokes so well. Likewiseboth ot my Longchmps featutre a piece thst goes from the stem to shank and looks just like a drill bit!
Do they really help the smoke or do they merely provide an avenue to gum up the pipe?
Experiience with the Kay has taught me mot to screw with perfection. Other experiences taight me to let nothing stand in the way of a good snoke.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Certain Savinelli models feature balsa filters which I toss immediately. They include a short plastic piece to insert in the stem which, to my mind, serves no real purpose. It does not enhance the draw so I usually pitch those pieces too.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Most of the makers were in search of the holy grail, a dry, smooth smoke and did come up with weird stuff in that pursuit. The strangest I have seen was the Ken pipe, which I can only say had a detachable, hard to clean cap/baffle. The good news it that they cut or grind off pretty easy and usually smoke as good or better without them.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I have a Savinelli with the balsa wood filter, I think it smokes pretty darn good. I don't like anything that has a paper filter too much though.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I take those extraneous wing dings out and trash them. Kaywoodie fans hate me if one has been part of my regular rotation.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Since the wacky looking parts on both of my new pipes can removed without permanent damage, I may just try smoking with and without. I never hacked my Kaywoodie stinger. Dills pipe cleaners go through the stinger just fine.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i am with arthur... any kind of stinger; weird metal filter thingy gets hacked out and the draw opened as wide as i can get away with.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm smoking the Longchamp bulldog without the drill bit thingy in it right now. DEfinitely an improvement and the drill bit screws back in just in case I ever want to sell or trade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.