PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
My suggestion, since it is an occasion for show and there may be not be many experienced smokers, would be a mild cigar with an impressive band such as these:

AJ Fernandez: New World Connecticut Robusto Cigars​

At $7.50 each not too expensive, box buy is even cheaper. They are 5" long, which will keep them entertained for nearly an hour. I order cigars regularly from SP for delivery here to Aus, never any problems.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and Brendan

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I like the suggestions above of Ashton and Arturo Fuente. Both are accessible to a rare-to-occasional smoker, while having good flavor profiles that also appeal to the regular cigar smoker. Ashton Cabinet would be my higher end recommendation, and Arturo Fuente 858 in the lower end.

The problem with super cheap cigars is they are sometimes plagued by poor construction as they're either filled with short filler, or else used to train the new rollers in the factory.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Personally I would pick 3 different types. A bolder cigar or a maduro, a Connecticut shade wrapped cigar for a mild smoker and a flavored one. And I wouldn't pick anything longer than about 5 inches and a little bit thicker to levitate a construction error a bit more. What I would do is buying a selection of Nubs which come in various wrappers and Acid cigars (which are still made from quality tobacco). Acids I've never smoked, but Nubs a bunch and have never had any difficulties with construction, they where very enjoyable.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You have already made your mind up so asking us for recommendations is a little much. You know who the guests and possibly even their tastes. In light of the true lack of info go for a robusto/toro sized mild cigar. A ring gauge of 46-48 is about right. Whatever gives you the best bang for the buck is not a bad idea.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Just a lil bump to say don't forget to let us know what you decided on @Ahi Ka.

Just out of curiosity.
I’m still waiting to hear back from the bride to be. Turns out despite her frantic efforts to get me to suss this out…bridesmaids’ dresses and cake tasting are top of the to do list.

i have been talking to a friend locally who is transitioning from cigars to pipes. Ok, well still quite fluid when it comes to smoker identification. But anyways I might trade some pipe tobacco for a bunch of sticks and call it a day.

Reactions: Beers 'N Briars

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
assuming the people you're buying for aren't huge cigar fans. I assume if they were they'd have suggestions for you. I'd say whatever cigar you get should be good. Go for medium or mild. That's all based on assumptions. But the thing is either they are really into cigars or not. If they are just ask the people who matter what they like and if not then they'll be happy with cigars.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.