PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have a Weber bulldog. Good pipe. I read Mr. Weber's book. Looks like your Shellbrooke is one of Weber's lower range. Yours does have a strange appeal--I say strange because I normally don't like carving on a standard shape. (Pic from Pipedia.org, courtesy of Doug Valitchka.)

View attachment 210583
That Shellbrook ad claims it was a “hand carved masterpiece”, which might mean they were machine cut, then hand rusticated after a smooth finish was obtained on the pipe.

Yet the ad claims it had an “aluminum screw stem fitting” and mine is definitely a push stem.

How did they mask off the brown raised parts and stain the rusticated parts? Or, could they have rusticated and stained the entire stummel then polished the raised parts a shiny brown?

8D909591-CE0F-433F-A941-B2B3CA58CF94.jpeg

There was some hand work, for sure.

Reactions: Piping Abe

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
if you like that style of Rustication, Chacom’s Rusticated Champagne Series has the same style with handcut Acrylic stems. Very nice pipe.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
if you like that style of Rustication, Chacom’s Rusticated Champagne Series has the same style with handcut Acrylic stems. Very nice pipe.
If you smoked that in public, you’d get “Whoa Sherlock! Did you know an Alligator ate your pipe-huh huh huh-
or else do gooders would throw buckets of blood on you for endangering crocodiles.:)

The only safe place to smoke that pipe is Spout Spring Hollow.:)

What fascinated me about this Shellbrook is, you can see all the hand rustication around polished, raised, unstained “scales”.

AFD5D79D-8079-49A4-80A4-6109C86B4F38.jpeg

How dey do dat?

Reactions: Piping Abe