18 Fresh Neerup Pipes
6 Fresh Savinelli Autograph Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 7, 2024
Hello everyone! I recently purchased this estate Weber meerschaum. I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it. Mainly roughly the year and if it is really African meerschaum. I couldn't really find any info about their meerschaum line only some very basic info on the general history of the company. I did see someone talking about their briars that said the metal logo on the stem means pre late 1950s.
s-l500.jpg

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Generally speaking, before maybe the late 40s meerschaums were smooth. There’s exceptions, but not many. I’m not surprised Weber had them. They evidently imported a lot of pipes. 50s works for me if the logo assertion is right. As far as the nature of the material, the turkish stuff has a warm soft buttery feel to it and can feel lighter than you’d expect from the size. African is dense and heavy. It feels like the rock it is.

Reactions: MillenialCodger

Sep 7, 2024
Generally speaking, before maybe the late 40s meerschaums were smooth. There’s exceptions, but not many. I’m not surprised Weber had them. They evidently imported a lot of pipes. 50s works for me if the logo assertion is right. As far as the nature of the material, the turkish stuff has a warm soft buttery feel to it and can feel lighter than you’d expect from the size. African is dense and heavy. It feels like the rock it is.
That's very helpful. Thanks!