PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A quick, clean, grasp of the obvious that man had. rotf

When I’d go in his shop he’d be sure, to ask about my mother.

And after her beauty shop appointment Mama would present herself at his shop, to have me drive her home.

Sometimes I’d kid her old Charlie might become her fifth husband and my fourth Step Pappy, but Mama would reply when his sick wife died one of those younger girls at the beauty shop would comfort and console him before his wife was in the ground.:)

When his wife did pass away, he disappointed a lot of ladies at the beauty shop.

He turned his shop over to his son, and whichever woman he rode away in his motor home with, hadn’t got her hair done in the salon next door.

The son still sold pipes, but it wasn’t like before.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
As stated before, all meerschaum pipes are dipped in beeswax by the carver after the carving of the pipe is complete. Different carvers will use different wax (i.e. white, yellow, brown, red, blue, and even green), which is why you can find the colored meerschaum pipes on different websites. White is the most commonly used wax though. Some pipes have a heavier coating of wax than others.

Some carvers use a process called calcinated which gives a stained look on the pipe. In the 1800s it was common to find a pipe that looked cherry red which was calcinated by the carver. More recently the carvers calcinated the pipe giving that black charring look around the top of the bowl. It was commonly used on African meerschaum pipes back when they were still being produced. Some carvers still use that technique today though not a common.

In the 1700 and 1800's meerschaum pipes were dipped in sperm whale oil. It wasn't until the late 1800's/early 1900's that beeswax became common use for coating the meerschaum pipes. The reason for the wax is that's what holds in the color. Meerschaum naturally expresses the tars and oils, and by coating the pipe with wax, the wax holds those tars and oils in which gives the pipes our coloring. For those that handle there pipes a lot and possibly wear off some of the wax, people will re-wax them. Typically, not necessary, but some people like to do it. I've done it a handful of times. Some of my pipes have benefited from it, but others have not.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Why do some Meerschaums come waxed and others don't ? My little lattice work one is unwaxed. Is it a matter of protection for the more elaborately carved pipes or is it a cost issue ? Or something else ?
Bees wax is used on meers to help with coloration. However, it can clog up the pores of the meerschaum. In Turkey, they get the pipe warm and then apply the wax so it gets down into the meerschaum. The tars will color the beeswax first and will eventually bleed out into the meerschaum as the pipe warms during smoking.

The blocks are soaked in water befoe carving. It softens the meerschaum and it carves like damp chalk. It is very easy to carve in that state. Once it dries it becomes hard.

Some wear white gloves when they smoke to keep oils from their hands discoloring the meerschaum.

jef

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob the bear