PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The hysteria of some members over water and pipes is...well...hysterical.

Some of you may be familiar with a pipe manufacturer named Comoy's. You know the one. Founded around 1825, Blue Riband, yada, yada. I have several of their catalogs, going back to 1909, and you know what? They recommend wetting down the chamber walls with water when breaking in a new pipe, just prior to loading up a bowl. Right there in their catalogs in their advice to their customers. Better for the pipe until a cake has been formed.
Evidently Comoy's wasn't concerned that a little water would cause their pipes to melt, self destruct, or to morph into Ewoks. Who knew?

Last edited:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The hysteria of some members over water and pipes is...well...hysterical.

Some of you may be familiar with a pipe manufacturer named Comoy's. You know the one. Founded around 1825, Blue Riband, yada, yada. I have several of their catalogs, going back to 1909, and you know what? They recommend wetting down the chamber walls with water when breaking in a new pipe, just prior to loading up a bowl. Right there in their catalogs in their advice to their customers. Better for the pipe until a cake has been formed.
Evidently Comoy's wasn't concerned that a little water would cause their pipes to melt, self destruct, or to morph into Ewoks. Who knew?
Ewoks, no. Gungans, this would truly be something to troll about. Dont you think?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The stem is out of beech wood with integrated plastic tube for a hygienic cleaning. We recommend therefore our long pipe cleaners #50427. Acrylic mouthpiece tip. All Auenland models are suitable for the 9mm Dr. Perl junior activated charcoal filter from VAUEN and coming in a special packaging.
Similar sound. They're both a beerch when it comes to water.

Thanks for the correction, though. I like truth.

B_Rock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
Hello, my name is B_Rock and I am a water flusher. I don’t do it with every pipe after every smoke, but usually every 10 or bowls. My question to the water flushers…what about a Meer? I’m about 20 bowls into my Meer and after using the pipe cleaner swab and paper towel wipe methods, I’m noticing a slight cake build up. To water flush or not water flush a Meer, that is the question?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Hello, my name is B_Rock and I am a water flusher. I don’t do it with every pipe after every smoke, but usually every 10 or bowls. My question to the water flushers…what about a Meer? I’m about 20 bowls into my Meer and after using the pipe cleaner swab and paper towel wipe methods, I’m noticing a slight cake build up. To water flush or not water flush a Meer, that is the question?
I do mine. But it’s a smooth pipe that I carved, no latticework or anything, and the outside was waxed after carving, and once more after a resurfacing after a clumsy accident with the sharp chimney of a Zippo, so it’s fairly water repellent on the exterior. I also make sure to let it dry overnight before smoking it again. I’m not sure if it’s necessary, but I figure since meerschaum is more absorbent, it’s better to be on the safe side.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Some claim wet baby wipes, non scented... of course.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Alcohol is a no no with a meer, so I've used water, but not a waterbath, just water soaked pipe cleaners. It's based on advice I got from RonnieB. I've read a bit on cleaning meers and found pretty much conflicting suggestions. Sift through it, look for some commonalities and go from there.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My one advice to new members is "DON'T mention water flushing"
From the number of posts in such a short time this is clearly THE most divisive issue for Forums members ?
I’d dare say, it’s not the “to rinse or not to rinse” question that’s at the heart of this little controversy. I certainly don’t have the first issue with someone choosing not to rinse their pipes out. Some prefer to let cake build up, or have some other reason (or no reason at all) for not using water. Perfectly fine. Why would I care? It’s their pipes. I would never tell someone how to clean their pipes, their car, their house, or anything else.
It’s the fact that ~100% of the ones saying it will ruin a briar pipe are speaking without firsthand experience. In colloquial terms, that’s called “talking out of your ass,” and it’s frustrating and exasperating if you listen to it for very long.
It’s one thing to say “I’m afraid it will ruin my pipe, though I’ve not tried it yet.” Perfectly understandable. It’s another to create a staunch opinion without any experience. That’s just an exercise in dumbassery.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It entirely depends on the intelligence of the audience to decern what’s common and what’s sense. I’ve seen little here today. How ever, how if you want to flush your wood, I’ll not stand in your way.????
Reading you discourse upon common and sense is like listening to a cow trying to explain a garage door opener.

You walked into this discussion to screw with it for your own amusement, with nothing of value to contribute to the OP, and you're irked that everyone didn't applaud your circus act. Poor you.

Status
Not open for further replies.