PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just plugged the shank end of an old crappy shaped poker I did about 2 years ago that's been sitting in a bucket and have filled the bowl with water.

I'm letting it sit, filled with water, for 24 hours and will cut it in half tomorrow to see what type of penetration 24 hours of water will do to a drilled out piece of briar. Pictures to follow.
It’s been done. BTW, a member here, after removing the stem, submerged one of his pipes for the better part of a week, then let it dry for an equal length of time before reattaching the stem, which fit perfectly. Kinda leached out the stain a bit, but the pipe smoked fine. What we do for science.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Their too embarrassed
I am not sure about that. I had a Peterson 03 Sea Mist that had the shank break - not just due to water cleaning but primarily due to a flaw in the shaft. It was on its way to breaking and was representative of two other pipes that broke at the shank over the decades. Pipes that never saw water. I disliked that pipe anyway.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I am not sure about that. I had a Peterson 03 Sea Mist that had the shank break - not just due to water cleaning but primarily due to a flaw in the shaft. It was on its way to breaking and was representative of two other pipes that broke at the shank over the decades. Pipes that never saw water. I disliked that pipe anyway.
Sorry, I’m finished discussing. ?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A simple flush now and then prevents some ghosting and works to keep the pipe smoking more fresh.
I flush some of my pipes sometimes, and others not at all - depending on my mood and how lazy I am at the time.
One thing I've found out is no amount of flushing gets rid of a Latakia ghost !
I have pipes dedicated to English/Balkan blends. Saves a lot of water and paper towels ?

Reactions: fireground_piper
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It’s been done. BTW, a member here, after removing the stem, submerged one of his pipes for the better part of a week, then let it dry for an equal length of time before reattaching the stem, which fit perfectly. Kinda leached out the stain a bit, but the pipe smoked fine. What we do for science.
I was just thinking a further test would be to take another pipe, submerge it for 5-10 minute in water, pull it out, wipe it with a paper towel and load it up and smoke it. See what happens.

My plug is just an un-drilled delrin tenon so I can remove it and see if it's tightened at all.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
People have experience outside pipe smokers anecdotal experience which may be considered. It’s your choice and
your pipe.

someone may have personal experience that they drove a vehicle 100k miles and never did an oil change. That experience is YMMV at best.
If you're going to debate effectively, your analogies must have at least a semblance of common sense and relevance.

Reactions: niblicck and jpberg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
It was a stem made from birch, not briar.
Hem, subterfuge here at Pipesmagazine.com, Matey! Misdirection and fake maps to no man's treasure. The facts, we need the facts. Birch is NOT briar. You'll be walk-in the plank for leaving that one out, that be for sure! Ahoy, there, Matey, if you be man'in the ship's watch, you better be ringing the bell only when ye spy Her Majesty's ships on the horizon. That be the fact for sure, that it be...

Here be the facts from the pipe maker's own website:

AUENLAND​

Pipe bowl made of briar wood. A shorter straight shape that reflects the original character but re-interpreted. The slender, oval pipe bowl with the curved top lies perfectly in the hand and guarantees a pleasurable and cool smoke.

The stem is out of beech wood with integrated plastic tube for a hygienic cleaning. We recommend therefore our long pipe cleaners #50427. Acrylic mouthpiece tip. All Auenland models are suitable for the 9mm Dr. Perl junior activated charcoal filter from VAUEN and coming in a special packaging.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
The question I have however: When I got to wiping out the bowl with a paper cloth, it pretty much took out all the cake that had developed. I’m guessing this is supposed to happen and somewhat the point, but I was always under the impression that the cake buildup was to protect the briar bowl?

What’s the thoughts on this?
Its going to boil down to how you want to care for your pipes with the information that your getting. The cake that I want in my pipes is minimal because I have none dedicated to any specific blend or tobacco types. I started water rinsing my pipes a couple of years ago because they would sour pretty quickly with the humidity levels in the area I live in. I used alcohol, salt bath followed by water rinsing to remove the salt from the bowl. I figured just water rinse after smoking. I've no ill effects on my pipes yet.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.