PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I will never understand this outlook on wood. We picked up a full set of wood turned dishes from a local artisan and run then through the dish washer, scrub them in the sink, and even drink from wooden cups sometimes.
I have no idea how long I’ve been rinsing my pipes, a few years, whenever John “woke” us, ha ha, but my pipes all smoke better, look fantastic, and just bring me more pleasure from using the process. But, you can do whatever you want with your pipes. I just know without a shadow, smidge, or fleck of doubt that there is absolutely nothing wrong with water rinsing a pipe, and your attempts to instill your irrational fears on me are useless and inane.
Spoken like a true southerner (that is said in jest). Agreed.

The wood on guitars is wet several times during the luthier process, but assembled with delicate water based glues which can come loose if submerged for a great amount of time. While I won’t get my guitar, ukes, mandolin, or even my banjo wet on purpose, I don’t freak out if I end up getting wet playing in a misting rain. I also don’t smoke from my guitars, so there’s that. puffy

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The wood on guitars is wet several times during the luthier process, but assembled with delicate water based glues which can come loose if submerged for a great amount of time. While I won’t get my guitar, ukes, mandolin, or even my banjo wet on purpose, I don’t freak out if I end up getting wet playing in a misting rain. I also don’t smoke from my guitars, so there’s that. puffy
What, you say’in your guitar doesn’t smoke when you play it?

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Heat, not water. Steam, not flood.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I can think of no recommendation to flood anything made from wood with hot water. Even cleaning wood floors, the recommendation is to mist and dry thoroughly. And, using Murphy's Wood Soap requires drying throughly once used.

I am sticking with the paper towel and pipe cleaners.
My pithy remark about water flushing is, don't. Water and wood don't mix. And just because this remark really pisses some off, let me say it again: water and wood don't mix. I've read that the Vikings seasoned their boats with a mixture of lard, bear fat, snot and toejam. They knew the ravages of water on wood, but wood was all they had.

I wonder what the yearly combined amount is for all the compounds sold to protect wood from water. The Vikings would have been a great customer.

All in all I must question the usefulness of an intellect that pairs the ancient antagonists of water and wood gladly.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My pithy remark about water flushing is, don't. Water and wood don't mix. And just because this remark really pisses some off, let me say it again: water and wood don't mix. I've read that the Vikings seasoned their boats with a mixture of lard, bear fat, snot and toejam. They knew the ravages of water on wood, but wood was all they had.

I wonder what the yearly combined amount is for all the compounds sold to protect wood from water. The Vikings would have been a great customer.

All in all I must question the usefulness of an intellect that pairs the ancient antagonists of water and wood gladly.
Finally a voice of reason……?????

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Yeah I think that was a stupid comparison to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.