Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
Damn...they let Funkenhouser out of the gulag. Only after full conditioning into the water cleaning cult...but everyone has a breaking point.

I hate to tell you RBF, but those memories of doing water cleaning "for years now", were falsely implanted in the gulag laboratory. It's possible to achieve total recall, but it involves painful extraction of an implanted device.

They made me smoke Mixture 79 out of a wet, oxidized pipe, until they broke me.

On the third day in that hell hole, a man with a handle bar mustache came in and started making me smoke Captain Black Grape. That's what actually helped me see the light.

I used to think washing your pipes was just a form of virtue signaling, now I know the truth.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey

On the third day in that hell hole, a man with a handle bar mustache came in and started making me smoke Captain Black Grape. That's what actually helped me see the light.

I used to think washing your pipes was just a form of virtue signaling, now I know the truth.
1720483500205.png

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and brian64

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Disaster and misery?

Sucess and total satisfaction?

I'm wondering if it's ok to wash my pipes out with warm water. I've been doing it for years now, but I'm wondering if it's gonna jump up and bite me in the ass when I least expect it.

-Funkenhouser
I bet not. However part of me thinks that it certainly might. When I've tried the warm water flush I get a weird soapy taste that bothers me a bit. Like unscented soap quality. But it really does seem like a lot of guys have been doing it for years with no noticeable issues.
I also get a strong feeling that the pipe rules are stated assuming that we're going to take things to extremes. Like if they say sure water flush is fine, someone will store their pipes in a fish pond.
Either way I thought they had taken you out back and sent to a nice farm upstate in the country. Or in other words welcome back.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

Sounds like a lot of fun actually. Or what I call a typical Monday.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I bet not. However part of me thinks that it certainly might. When I've tried the warm water flush I get a weird soapy taste that bothers me a bit. Like unscented soap quality. But it really does seem like a lot of guys have been doing it for years with no noticeable issues.
I also get a strong feeling that the pipe rules are stated assuming that we're going to take things to extremes. Like if they say sure water flush is fine, someone will store their pipes in a fish pond.
Either way I thought they had taken you out back and sent to a nice farm upstate in the country. Or in other words welcome back.

Water quality might come into play, like John said.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
true. We have very hard water where I am at and also sometimes heavily treated to the point of tasting very chemically. Imagine getting a brain eating ameba from your pipe water flushing :(.

We have a strong sulfur smell to our water sometimes.. no effect on the pipe's taste, but we dont drink it or cook with it.

When we bought our house the water was connected. I tried to find out where to pay the water bill, but never could. Later I found out from my neighbors that the water was "free".

Skechty stuff.. you think you want free water until it's off for the whole day with no explanation, or when it smells like doo doo.

• Sad
Reactions: FLDRD and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
We have a strong sulfur smell to our water sometimes.. no effect on the pipe's taste, but we dont drink it or cook with it.

When we bought our house the water was connected. I tried to find out where to pay the water bill, but never could. Later I found out from my neighbors that the water was "free".

Skechty stuff.. you think you want free water until it's off for the whole day with no explanation, or when it smells like doo doo.
Sometimes I wonder at my job if the dumber things that happen aren't part of a secret experiment to see how we will react. I am having similar thoughts on free water.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I opt for alcohol. Alcohol melts the slag, and best of all, it's volatile. The alcohol melts these burnt oils, leaving the walls spotless, unpolluted. So it's supposed to leave no trace of a weird aftertaste. In the end, the goal is to make that uncomfortable aftertaste disappear, and to smoke your tobacco pleasantly. But as always, it is a personal opinion, and it is not binding hahahahahahahahaha

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I opt for alcohol. Alcohol melts the slag, and best of all, it's volatile. The alcohol melts these burnt oils, leaving the walls spotless, unpolluted. So it's supposed to leave no trace of a weird aftertaste. In the end, the goal is to make that uncomfortable aftertaste disappear, and to smoke your tobacco pleasantly. But as always, it is a personal opinion, and it is not binding hahahahahahahahaha

It is binding. You must choose a side!

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Disaster and misery?

Sucess and total satisfaction?

I'm wondering if it's ok to wash my pipes out with warm water. I've been doing it for years now, but I'm wondering if it's gonna jump up and bite me in the ass when I least expect it.

-Funkenhouser
I hate sanded pipes, so when I restore one of those pipes that have already taken on that almost black brown color, I wash them with soap and water. I have a heat gun or hair dryer on hand and I dry them well every time. I did not have problems.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Welcome back!
Been doing it for years with absolutely no ill effects. Never washed off a stain, but I don’t own cheaply made pipes.

Really leaves my pipes fresh and ready to go.
When I saw the thread title I thought, "Hookah or plumbing problem".

I don't think the gold mustache era Caminetto I tried it on was a cheap pipe, but the stain came off anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: sablebrush52