PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
First off, if you get it all over the outside of the pipe you will have a dull pipe and it will need a new coat of wax and buffing.

Ive done it on a few that were just filthy. I think its a safer idea just to not let them get nasty.

A couple of folks have had their stain wash off.

So proceed with caution.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Here is an older thread about it

I did find it useful on a pipe where the stem was a bit loose. Probably smoking it a number of times would have done the same.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
As long as you aren't using some type of soap or detergent, a quick rinse in water after the pipe has cooled down isn't going to hurt it. Briar is a wood after all and shouldn't absorb the water from a quick rinse.

I don't have a problem rinsing acrylic stems in water either but I don't use water on Vulcanite ones..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another plus with a hot water flush: you can do so the minute you finish a bowl. Stem in, so it gets cleaned, too.

I think I was the first guy to really put it out there, and have been doing so for 7-8 years with no problems.

Hot water on a vulcanite stem will bring out oxidation that is there, but won't cause it. A light rub with a cloth with mineral oil restores it fully.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Im glad someone posted, cause I have some questions about water flushing:

jpmcwjr touched on this but I assume hot water if the pipe is still hot, and cold or hot water when the pipe is cool.

1 Do you separate the stem and stummel when flushing (assuming the pipe is cool)?

2 Do you separate the stem and stummel to dry the pipe?

3 Is the rest period still about 24 after water flushing?

4 Can you water flush meerschaum and morta?

I appreciate the advice.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

jpmcwjr touched on this but I assume hot water if the pipe is still hot, and cold or hot water when the pipe is cool.
I use pretty hot tap water in all cases.
1 Do you separate the stem and stummel when flushing (assuming the pipe is cool)?
Not at all.
No. Once every blue moon I will twist the stem out to clean the mortise.
No. You can smoke right away. (More moisture is created by smoking the pipe than a water cleanse.)
Yes on Meers, and can't see why Mortas would be different, though I have no Mortas.

I appreciate the advice.
Happy smokes to you, Sir!

Last edited:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina

I appreciate the advice.
1. Yes, it allows access to the area between the bowl and the base of the stem with a mortise brush.

2. Yes, for an hour or so, maybe longer -- no set time.

3. I usually let it rest for a day or so. I could smoke it fairly quickly if I wanted to. I have other pipes so no need to rush.

4. Yes, and Yes

For me, the process doesn't require a lot of precise timing (#3 and 4). I usually couple a water bath with a reaming of the bowl, I don't water flush after every smoke. Wax is applied as necessary after the pipe is dry.

Reactions: Chalaw87

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Disaster and misery?

Sucess and total satisfaction?

I'm wondering if it's ok to wash my pipes out with warm water. I've been doing it for years now, but I'm wondering if it's gonna jump up and bite me in the ass when I least expect it.

-Funkenhouser

Damn...they let Funkenhouser out of the gulag. Only after full conditioning into the water cleaning cult...but everyone has a breaking point.

I hate to tell you RBF, but those memories of doing water cleaning "for years now", were falsely implanted in the gulag laboratory. It's possible to achieve total recall, but it involves painful extraction of an implanted device.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Damn...they let Funkenhouser out of the gulag. Only after full conditioning into the water cleaning cult...but everyone has a breaking point.

I hate to tell you RBF, but those memories of doing water cleaning "for years now", were falsely implanted in the gulag laboratory. It's possible to achieve total recall, but it involves painful extraction of an implanted device.
I remember the guy doing the implanting asking for a source for shoulder length rubber gloves.