PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It never made sense to me because water does not remove tobacco tar."

It isn't just tobacco tar that gunks up a pipe, there are all sorts of nasties that build up over time. After a good regular clean with a pipe cleaner, do the hot water flush and you'd be surprised at what gunk pours out!

This method I learned from forum member John who I believe has convinced many on here about the merits of water flushing.

Regards,

Jay.?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Uoops! Changed my mind. Flushers are the miscreants of the pipe world, given to this blasphemy, this atrocity here, and who knows what other foul deeds beyond it. Guess who's not coming to my dinner?: flushers. Why merely the sight of one might cause me to lose my dinner in a spectacular! spectacular! and spontaneous gastric stream, and if by chance the flusher commenced flushing, my displeasure, knowing no bounds, might similarly erupt over the bounds of civility and result in murder. Foul! Foul! Foul! they are, these denizens of the darkest deep, minions of Satan too easily led by the crimson tide of four-flushers in control of this board.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
OLna6yN.gif

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I have done both. I cleaned my pipes with water for a few years before I googled it and actually found one of these discussions on this board maybe two years ago. It was comforting to know I wasn’t alone.

Although I do still flush with water in certain circumstances and am in no ways against using it, I prefer potable alcohol over water or rubbing alcohol or pipe sweetener. Just a personal preference.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Can anyone comment on the process after the rinse is complete? How long does it take for the pipe to dry so that you can smoke it again? Do you dry it off with a towel? etc? Any insights on the second step would be appreciated as I have a few pipes I want to start doing this with.
After wiping the chamber with a paper towel and running a pipe cleaner through it, it should be good to go. Briar isn't really absorbent at all.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Can anyone comment on the process after the rinse is complete? How long does it take for the pipe to dry so that you can smoke it again? Do you dry it off with a towel? etc? Any insights on the second step would be appreciated as I have a few pipes I want to start doing this with.

I usually wait overnight. They'll stay wet for a little while. I have smoked them right after.. You could get a gurgle. I'd say you should give it an hour.

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
I had heard for years about water being a no-no. I was hesitant about over retorting, fearing drying out the briar. Well a year ago, I put an unsmoked (unusable stummel) in a jar of olive oil. I wanted to test Alfred Dunhills theory of oil soaking pipes. The other day, I removed the bowl from the oil and smashed it with a hammer. I did not want to saw it for fear the heat from the saw blade might affect how the cross section looked. Anyway, oil penetration was minimal. Only place where oil penetrated to any depth was where there were fills. In any event a little water isn't going to hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.