PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I don't wear watches often but when I do I have an Oris Artelier with steel band. I really love the look of skeletonized mechanical watches where the movement inside is exposed. I'm also a fan of unorthodox layouts/designs in watches. Unfortunately I've got champagne taste on a beer budget. Here are some of the ones that I find interesting (sadly not mine and also more expensive than the majority of my belongings).
Corum Bridge:

Corum-113-705-04-0001-0000.jpg

Urwerk ur-103:

091708_urwerk_1.jpg

Hautlence HL-04:

Hautlence-HL-04.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have 1 Bulova automatic, a Swiss Army and a bunch of Casio's with the Pathfinder being my favorite. My old boss was a high end collector and he gave me most of the dozen or so that I have to make room for his Swiss movement autos. A cool hobby that is just a little out of reach for me.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I was wondering if we had any wrist watch fans out here. Since we are resurrecting some older post this week, if you missed or weren’t around for this thread show'em if you got'em.
I have only two the first one was a gift from my wife.

It is a Stuhrling Zepplin skeleton with leather band
zeppelin-z-2.jpeg

The Second was a re-enlistment gift to myself, a Bulova Precisionist

watch3.png

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I think it is very common for people like ourselves, inherent collectors and connoiseurs, to be interested in watches. Interestingly, a great majority of F1 drivers are also watch collectors. I have stopped visiting watch forums as whenver I do, I always seem to find another model I simply must have. Expensive. I have never paid more than 4,500 RMB for a watch. Something always makes me hesitate, even though I have been tempted at times, most recently by the 38mm Hamilton intramatic .

null
I own about 6 Gs, which I use at work and have four mechanical models, one of which I am wearing as I type; an Orient

[url=http://cn.bing.com/images/search?q=orient%20DBAA&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=orient%20dbaa&sc=0-10&sp=-1&sk=&ajf=10#view=detail&id=CA42D76FAEB276EC42768E4D61A40562F3F7941E&selectedIndex=3]null

although I own the model with a bronze dial.

After years collecting I would offer this one piece of advice, which I wih I could have given myself a long time ago. "Buy sparingly...and well"

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I love Peck's IWC above!
I have a small collection of pocket watches and some wrist watches, although I haven't added anything to the collection in some time now. My pocket watches are mostly Hamiltons & a few others in the mix. I particularly like 21 jewel & up movements in a hunting case. I belong to a Living History group so I enjoy carrying one from time to time.
In wrist watches I have a couple of Omega Seamasters from the 1960's similar to what Troutface posted above. In fact one of those on an old Spiedel Twist-o-flex band is my daily wear. Today they represent a tremendous value for the quality of watch that they are. I also have a 1960's Hamilton Automatic that was my dad's, an Omega Speedmaster "Moom watch" from the early 1980's, a 1967 Bulova Accutron 214 Spaceview I bought new and a 1983 Bulova Accutron 219 which was my dad's retirement watch. The 219 never gets worn because the bracelet is too small for me and I have never been able to find any matching links even on eBay.
No Quartz movements except for a 1976 Longines Centennial and a Casio on a NATO strap I wear in the woods. I would like to know more about the Longines Centennials if anyone has any info.

Mar 1, 2014
I tried to get into watch collecting, but found the industry to be far too, cryptic? It's almost impossible to know what you're paying for.

After reading a bunch of reviews of common brand names on Amazon and finding out what the margins are on Swiss watches I lost interest in that market almost entirely (the Bulova Precisionist is probably one of the few high end watches I would still look at).
I tried some mechanical watches from Hong Kong, and while I can't say they lasted long they did keep time really well.

Part of the problem is the amount of time I spend around power tools and heavy machinery (and occasionally livestock), things attached to my wrist don't have an easy life.
Ultimately I stuck with Reactor watches for when I need a timepiece. Great QC, ten year batteries on many models and lots of lume. The wrist bands are held on by threaded pins (small nuts and bolts, something I'm familiar with), so I know I'm not going to wreck it easily.

Their main market is dive watches, which I'm hoping to actually need sometime this year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I began to notice before the holidays that The New York Times has become saturated with high end watch

ads. I think the pricing of most of the offerings starts at about $500, but that's a basement. Most of them

are into the thousands. I guess print media is considered prime territory for watch sales, people who have

some component of retro in the DNA. The magazine Automobile has three or four watch ads an issue,

most of them moderately priced, $29.95 to about $130 to $250. I make do with a Seiko, a Bertucci, a

Columbia (the clothing manufacturer), and one from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the only one without

Arabic numbers.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
WatchTime puts out a weekly e-letter as well as an e-zine & a printed magazine.
http://www.watchtime.com

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I was a passionate watch collector but since I work in the watch business a lot of the glitter has worn off. Sometimes ignorance is bliss indeed. OTOH I am fortunate enough to work for a small family owned watch manufactory now. All handmade and I am quite involved which is a great thing.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I do! I do! I really like to watch fans. The oscillating kind can mesmerize me for hours.
No thats a fan watcher not a watch fan. Geese man get with it . :rofl: :laughat: :nana:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
stvalentine, does the company you work for have a website?
If anyone has one I would love to find an 18k gold 23j Omega Constellation with the "pie pan" dial in gold, and arrowhead markers (sometimes called delta markers). I think the arrowhead markers limit the timeframe of availability to the late 1950's. Black dial pie pans with gold arrowhead markers have shown up on occasion and look good but appear to have been silver or white dials refinished to black.
zDyKjHf.jpg

Kzwq6A4.jpg

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I'm a Tag Heuer man. I've got two of them. One has a blue bezel and face, and the other, black bezel and face. Both of them are excellent timepieces. I've also got a Seiko dive watch, that was my war watch. It still has sand in the bezel from Panama and Saudi. That one stays in a box.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I like automatics, I love the craftsmanship. I wear a Hamilton Viewmatic for everyday and have an Omega DeVille for dress occasions.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Anyone else see this watch in this weeks WatchTime newsletter? I love this but way too rich for my blood!
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-on-with-the-ressence-type-3-live-pics-pricing
img%5D

img%5D

Status
Not open for further replies.