PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Made by Sutflif or are they just the importer? It's the importer's responsibility to do all the paperwork, right? That's why Sam Gawith has Kretek listed?
That makes sense it's just a few of the Wessex branded product line, so someone else would be handling the rest. But nobody else is listed representing the rest of the Wessex line up.
I wonder if this list in any way incomplete. I guess we'll find out a six months.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
That makes sense it's just a few of the Wessex branded product line, so someone else would be handling the rest. But nobody else is listed representing the rest of the Wessex line up.
I wonder if this list in any way incomplete. I guess we'll find out a six months.
Very sorry, but is this list available somewhere online to read?

Reactions: ofafeather
Oct 7, 2016
It is very much incomplete. If you are grandfathered, you are grandfathered. Getting on the list just means that you have gotten on the list. They will still take application, but they can’t be batch submitted. If you have the documentation that would be required to get on the list, there really isn’t any great incentive to file. The list is only updated as FOIA requests get filled.

There are more routes than grandfathering to continue to keep a blend on the market. The August date may not be meaningful any more, after the FDA’s earlier announced dates were thrown out by a District Court at the behest of do gooders who thought they were too remote. The relevant date for submitting PTMA’s was 9/9/20, which was just before Scotty’s Trout Stream and other blends suddenly became available only as blending kits.

Oct 7, 2016
Thank you. Will be keeping an eye on this to inform future panic buying/staccing jars
I don’t think it is a very good source, except that what is on the list is safe from FDA action. But many other blends are grandfathered but not on the list, have been submitted as substantially equivalent (a list that is so far, and for the foreseeable future, not public due to trade secret issues) or have filed for a PMTA.

Best advice is to cellar what you like, if for no other reason than it won’t get any cheaper.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Without furthher ado, here. Is the link for whatever good it is:
It is interesting, as far as it goes, for revealing some of who makes what. And in the case of the D&R blends, it's interesting because they were grandfathered in as RYO and the later application seems to revolve around redefining them as pipe tobacco to get them into a lower tax bracket.
Incomplete (thank goodness) as it is, there are some interesting entries for a highly secretive and opaque business.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2016
there are some interesting entries for a highly secretive and opaque business.
Indeed there are. And the substantial equivalence filings will never see the light of day if the industry has its way. “In the meantime, the FDA encourages retailers to contact manufacturers directly to obtain information and confirmation about whether SE or PMTA applications have been filed with the FDA.” PMTA applications have been disclosed, but not SE filings.

Ingredients and recipes are trade secrets, so the resistance to disclosure is understandable. But the paperwork itself has become a trade secret. Just what is substantially equivalent to what?

Status
Not open for further replies.