PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I have a small amount of GH&C Bob’s Square Cut which I picked up back in 1997. I was told the tobacco was already 10 years old at the time. The BSC was nearly solid black when I received it, unlike any “fresh” tobacco I’d ever encountered. The taste was sublime; I immediately fell in love with it.

Over the past 2 decades my precious supply has slowly become smaller and smaller. In the effort to conserve it, long ago I took to loading only 1/2 a bowl on top of something more plentiful. Every crumb and dust particle is accounted for.

For 20 years every bowl has been outstanding. I’ll miss it when it’s gone.....
Who else has a “precious” favorite that can never be replaced?

Jan 8, 2013
My precious favorite is McClelland Balkan Blue. My oldest being a few tins labeled Blue Mountain (the original name), and from 2013 which is as old as the blend gets. I'm conserving it all for as long as I can by making it an occasional/special occasion smoke as opposed to a regular rotation smoke like it used to be. Now, if I open a tin, I'll smoke a bowl and immediately jar up the remainder of the tin not to be touched for some time. Basically I'll be doing this with all my McClelland blends. But among the all, Balkan Blue will be most missed when finally gone.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mephisto for me. I have a couple of 2004 tins left, and while Black Frigate comes close, it will never take its place. Christmas Cheer is a very close second, but with a few dozen tins left in my cellar, I feel a bit more comfortable about smoking it.

Jan 8, 2013
Mephisto for me. I have a couple of 2004 tins left, and while Black Frigate comes close, it will never take its place.
It would be hard for anything to take the Frigate's place as well in my opinion.
My top Christmas Cheer is the 1997. Luckily I still have several tins.
I only have a couple tins left of Christmas Cheer... they will not be touched for a very long time. It's going to be a long wait.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
McClellands Dark Star, Navy Cavendish, and Christmas Cheer 2015, a SG Virginia flake, and some Syrian Latakia flake. I smoke so slowly, things become rare while I'm puffing at my glacial rate.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
GL Pease Bohemian Scandal, I smoked the last of it last summer, it was a sad day. I know in the future it'll be Vintage Syrian, I loaded up, but it's a ticking time bomb now. I have one tin of Balkan Sobranie from 1997 that I'll be cracking soon, but that's the only tin I have of an old Sobranie. In terms of stretching something out...I have a very very small about of Frog Morton from 2005 that I've been stretching by topping it on others, very rarely I'll smoke a full bowl of it.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
When y'all are topping off the tobacco, are you getting two flavors at different parts of the bowl, or are the melding together? I haven't played with tobacco enough, but it seems the flavor would change quite bit by doing a split bowl.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I can’t speak for the other gentlemen, but for the bottom of the bowl I’ll use something fairly benign in aroma, like some GH Bright CR Flake or some C&D Red VA Ribbon. I just roll up a little ball, drop it in the bottom, and load my precious on top. Whatever I put on bottom will pick up the extra flavors. There’s never any doubt when I hit that intersection of the two tobaccos, and smoking to the bottom is still quiet enjoyable.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
That's a really good idea @rmpeeps. I bought some Sutliff Red Ribbon, planned to age it a bit as first smoke was a little harsh and I heard it evolves. But to use it as a filler to enjoy other tobaccos on top is a good idea. Make my few McClellands last a little longer!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Condor Long Cut from 2017...prior to being mfgd in Poland(?). Smoke half flakes to conserve what I have.

Fortunately I have a really small paneled pipe from the 1940's that takes only half a flake (how convenient).

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Oh, woe, oh, woe is me. I am down to my last jar of MC's 2015. Nothing like it for me and now, I am forlorn.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
GL Pease Bohemian Scandal
I wish I had an actual stash of this stuff. I have only tried it a few times but it is definitely a legit unicorn. It could be had on Ebay or Pipestud for around 100 just a year or two ago, but last time I saw one it went for over twice that. I am pretty well stocked on all my favorites and have no fear of running out of them in my lifetime at the rate I smoke.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
For me, it's Mick McQuaid, either tin Square Cut or the really rare Ready Rubbed in a tin.

I have a small stock from the 90s when i did a lot of buying from a shop in scotland, before the ban on shipping to usa hit most UK shops... is that late 90s correct?

I also scored a 12 pack of pouch Ready Rubbed from Pipestud---it's very rare nowadays and it is still smokable but must be jarred immediately after opening so it does'nt become brittle and harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.