Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I just got a Morgan in the mail yesterday, smoked it about 1/2 dozen times already. Great 30 minute cool smoke.

What I don’t understand about the hard wood plugs in these cobs is the stem sits across the bottom of the chamber so you have to burn the stem out before the plug even becomes useful…… no?

I don't think burning out the bottom is necessarily the concern; I dunno how you'd actually do that without trying. The main problem is that that cob material gets soft when it's wet, and you could poke through the bottom if you're not careful when cleaning out dottle after a smoke. The hardwood plug is some insurance against that, and it's a nice construction touch if nothing else.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Well upon closer inspection I can't actually tell if my Legend has a hardwood bottom or not. I don't want to peel off the sticker and the wood shank effectively covers the whole bottom of the the cob. Guess I'll never know but I always assumed it was hardwood.

View attachment 327787
View attachment 327788
Ok curiosity got the best of me so I thought I could do something to figure it out.

I decided to use the blunted pick in my tamper to press into part of the shank and part of the bottom of the bowl. Maybe another bad assumption by me but I figure the shanks are made of hardwood.

So I pressed into the shank and it made the tiniest dent with a decent amount of force. Did the same with the bowl and it made a fair sized indentation.

Looks like @didimauw's claim were right.

IMG_20240802_110647494~2.jpg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Over fifty years ago now, I tried making my own corn cob pipe. The hardest part was finding a reed for a stem, but I used a section of an old bamboo cane fishing pole that used to sell for less than a dollar in every hardware store back then.

My pipe burned out (on the sides) in less than a month. Wrong cob.

I have several of these Phoenix American base model “Nickel” cobs that are all older than 1954, when MM bought out the factory at Boonville.

Phoenix American failed because MM started using a new, hybrid corn cob that made better and cheaper pipes.

But my PA pipes don’t burn out. They were made from special corn varieties as well, just not as good as MM.

A Missouri Meerschaum pipe is the best cob pipe in the world.

Actually, it’s the only true factory cob pipe left to buy.

Over half of the production at Washington are Legends, last I knew.

Not every cob is the right size to accept a dowel plug, and they double plaster the better ones.

IMG_6781.jpegIMG_6782.jpeg

Last edited:

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I stopped by the factory this past Wednesday. They have a pleasant little shop with some displays of historical stuff and a wall of their full line of products, including some exclusive pipes (basically remainders from small runs). I managed to snag a tin of GL Pease Westminster from 2020 for $14.99, and a General, as well as some minis to give as gifts. Spent more than $79 so they gave me a 155th anniversary coin.

I wish I’d been able to stay longer, take some pics and look at all of the displays, but they are short on creature comforts and my wife had to use the restroom which they do not have.

I’m sad that they don’t do tours, and basically never will except on a single day in September for their 155th anniversary. Seems like a missed opportunity, as the town is not exactly a place you happen across on your average travels. I made a specific pilgrimage to visit and probably will never get to return.

Reactions: Grimlineman

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I stopped by the factory this past Wednesday. They have a pleasant little shop with some displays of historical stuff and a wall of their full line of products, including some exclusive pipes (basically remainders from small runs). I managed to snag a tin of GL Pease Westminster from 2020 for $14.99, and a General, as well as some minis to give as gifts. Spent more than $79 so they gave me a 155th anniversary coin.

I wish I’d been able to stay longer, take some pics and look at all of the displays, but they are short on creature comforts and my wife had to use the restroom which they do not have.

I’m sad that they don’t do tours, and basically never will except on a single day in September for their 155th anniversary. Seems like a missed opportunity, as the town is not exactly a place you happen across on your average travels. I made a specific pilgrimage to visit and probably will never get to return.
Until maybe twenty or thirty years ago they’d give anybody a tour of the factory, and in the late nineties I watched a worker make me a Freehand.

The culture of all those towns along the Missouri River in what’s known as “Little Dixie” is charming. Every one is neat, clean, and tourists are catered to:

If you ever go again, don’t miss Hermann, which is not far up the river.

The Rebels used this canon to take pot shots at my ancestors of the Missouri State Militia Cavalry who were only trying to liberate the town and release all the slaves during the Great Rebellion.

I’m glad they missed my kinfolks.

8 gig storage backup 801 Copy Copy.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ok curiosity got the best of me so I thought I could do something to figure it out.

I decided to use the blunted pick in my tamper to press into part of the shank and part of the bottom of the bowl. Maybe another bad assumption by me but I figure the shanks are made of hardwood.

So I pressed into the shank and it made the tiniest dent with a decent amount of force. Did the same with the bowl and it made a fair sized indentation.

Looks like @didimauw's claim were right.

View attachment 327792
So this email, was sent 5/1/2019

Normally we don't put a wood plug in the bottom of the Legend bowls. It may be that you have a 5th Avenue Diplomat which does have the hardwood plug. The other pipes that have the hardwood plug in the bottom of the bowls are the Apple Diplomat, Natural and Polished Morgan, Country Gentleman, Great Dane Spool, Great Dane Spindle, Patriot, General, Freehand, Mark Twain, the entire Cobbit Collection, Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus, Dagner Poker Cob, Stubby, Charles Towne Cobbler, Carolina Gent, and the St. Pat's Pipes. Pictures of all these pipes are available on our website, www.corncobpipe.com.

Thanks!
Marilyn
Missouri Meerschaum Co.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
So this email, was sent 5/1/2019

Normally we don't put a wood plug in the bottom of the Legend bowls. It may be that you have a 5th Avenue Diplomat which does have the hardwood plug. The other pipes that have the hardwood plug in the bottom of the bowls are the Apple Diplomat, Natural and Polished Morgan, Country Gentleman, Great Dane Spool, Great Dane Spindle, Patriot, General, Freehand, Mark Twain, the entire Cobbit Collection, Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus, Dagner Poker Cob, Stubby, Charles Towne Cobbler, Carolina Gent, and the St. Pat's Pipes. Pictures of all these pipes are available on our website, www.corncobpipe.com.

Thanks!
Marilyn
Missouri Meerschaum Co.
Now I want to get a Morgan. Thanks a lot Didi 😒😏

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Until maybe twenty or thirty years ago they’d give anybody a tour of the factory, and in the late nineties I watched a worker make me a Freehand.

The culture of all those towns along the Missouri River in what’s known as “Little Dixie” is charming. Every one is neat, clean, and tourists are catered to:

If you ever go again, don’t miss Hermann, which is not far up the river.

The Rebels used this canon to take pot shots at my ancestors of the Missouri State Militia Cavalry who were only trying to liberate the town and release all the slaves during the Great Rebellion.

I’m glad they missed my kinfolks.

View attachment 327816
That cannon needs a hardwood plug. Just sayin'.

• Haha
Reactions: khiddy

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Per MM, The Legend has a yellow dye added to the top coat and is finished in a cement mixer or similar contraption. The Washington is clear-coated and finished by hand. Besides that, they are the same pipe and smoke the same. I prefer the Washington for the looks. Neither has a hardwood plug.

FYI to anyone who likes the Morgan - the polished Morgan is discontinued (confirmed by Marilyn at MM via email). I grabbed a few spares at Cupojoes after I learned this. Mars Cigars looks to have some in stock still. The natural version is still in production. It's a shame, as the polished Morgan is one of my favorite cobs.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Regarding the purpose of hardwood plugs, they have little to do with preventing burnout. The main purpose of the plug is to prevent the bottom-center of the bowl from getting soggy and deteriorating or becoming easy to damage and poke through with a pipe tool. This can happen with unplugged cobs, especially if they're smoked frequently with little time to rest and dry.

Edited: grammar

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Per MM, The Legend has a yellow dye added to the top coat and is finished in a cement mixer or similar contraption. The Washington is clear-coated and finished by hand. Besides that, they are the same pipe and smoke the same. I prefer the Washington for the looks. Neither has a hardwood plug.

FYI to anyone who likes the Morgan - the polished Morgan is discontinued (confirmed by Marilyn at MM via email). I grabbed a few spares at Cupojoes after I learned this. Mars Cigars looks to have some in stock still. The natural version is still in production. It's a shame, as the polished Morgan is one of my favorite cobs.
Oh man! I had been waffling about getting a polished MM Morgan, and noticed they went out of stock frequently. Thanks for the heads-up.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
That makes sense as I've been looking for one but haven't been able to find one.