PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grimlineman

Lurker
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
I have a legend and I’m fond of it and would liken to pick up another. so what’s the difference between these two pipes?
I know they are the same shape/size so is the yellow stain just cheaper to manufacture or is it supply and demand or do they do something different to the Washington? Wondering why the Washington is a few bucks more and if it’s worth considering or just a color preference. Thanks!

Grimlineman

Lurker
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
I’m on that site about every day : D . It just says the Washington is a step above the rest and is double filled…….I have no idea what that means sounds like marketing talk?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
OK so this won't help you that much but the Legend has a soft bottom, and the Washington has the hardwood plug in the bottom. Along with the color difference.

I however got a one-off legend with the hardwood plug by accident years ago. I ended up emailed them at MM, and the lady told me about the plugs. So I either got a washington with the wrong color plaster, or a legend (as it was purchased) with a hardwood plug.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
OK so this won't help you that much but the Legend has a soft bottom, and the Washington has the hardwood plug in the bottom. Along with the color difference.

I however got a one-off legend with the hardwood plug by accident years ago. I ended up emailed them at MM, and the lady told me about the plugs. So I either got a washington with the wrong color plaster, or a legend (as it was purchased) with a hardwood plug.
I also have a Legend with a hardwood plug. I thought only their smallest pipes didn't have plugs.

Grimlineman

Lurker
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
I just got a Morgan in the mail yesterday, smoked it about 1/2 dozen times already. Great 30 minute cool smoke.

What I don’t understand about the hard wood plugs in these cobs is the stem sits across the bottom of the chamber so you have to burn the stem out before the plug even becomes useful…… no?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I just got a Morgan in the mail yesterday, smoked it about 1/2 dozen times already. Great 30 minute cool smoke.

What I don’t understand about the hard wood plugs in these cobs is the stem sits across the bottom of the chamber so you have to burn the stem out before the plug even becomes useful…… no?

That stem doesnt always go all the way across the chamber, I dont belive it's designed to.

Also, that piece of stem will usually burn off after a while, at least on the cobs Ive had.

Reactions: Grimlineman

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
The hardwood plug is there to prevent burning out the bottom of the bowl, which can (and does, per my experience) happen on the smaller bowls. The stems are all made from a lighter (less dense) wood that will char and burn away somewhat with multiple smokes, but the hardwood plug is sturdier and will last nearly forever with proper smoking technique.

Reactions: Grimlineman

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Yeah I kind of wish I got that over the Eaton that I bought.
Both are great “short smoke” pipes. They were the first two models I bought, and are each on their third bit.
They work best when I consider which tobak to stuff in them. Morgan is a mini-pot and Easton is a mini-stack, and when loaded adoringly they both have a place.

With regard to the OP’s question, @warren is right on the money. They answer the phone and are very helpful. Just remember that a shank is a stem and a stem is a bit in their vernacular😉

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
They work best when I consider which tobak to stuff in them. Morgan is a mini-pot and Easton is a mini-stack, and when loaded adoringly they both have a place.
I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't consider that getting both, like a good PAD afflicted member of the forum, would be the right solution. Thank you for showing me the light 😁

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Well upon closer inspection I can't actually tell if my Legend has a hardwood bottom or not. I don't want to peel off the sticker and the wood shank effectively covers the whole bottom of the the cob. Guess I'll never know but I always assumed it was hardwood.

IMG_20240802_110536875_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240802_110459854.jpg