PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Title edited for caps and brevity. Read Rule 9.

I made my first tin purchases a few weeks ago and I finally got around to picking up some mason jars to keep the tobaccos in. Before I open the tins and transfer the contents I was wondering if it would be necessary or or at least advisable to wash the mason jars first; I know that's general practice for canning. Since pipe smoking has many aspects where opinions differ I figured I'd ask what you all do and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kcghost
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Personally, I do not wash the jars before I use them and I've never observed any negatives from not doing so. Also, when reusing jars, I only rinse them with water and let them dry before I reuse them. Again, no negatives observed from this practice, either. I know there are some that like to disinfect and all that when reusing jars, but really it all comes down to preference. As per usual, YMMV

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Personally, I do not wash the jars before I use them and I've never observed any negatives from not doing so. Also, when reusing jars, I only rinse them with water and let them dry before I reuse them. Again, no negatives observed from this practice, either. I know there are some that like to disinfect and all that when reusing jars, but really it all comes down to preference. As per usual, YMMV
Yeah I know a lot of people will wash out the jars unless they are refilling it with the same blend, and some people won't if it's a different blend but same style.

Reactions: Hunter1
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Yeah I know a lot of people will wash out the jars unless they are refilling it with the same blend, and some people won't if it's a different blend but same style.
If it's the same blend I don't worry about washing it out, but if it's different then I will wash it out.

Also, if it is a different blend then I will change the lid. I'll use the same ring, though. I find that the lid is ghosted with the scent of the previous blend.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
If it's new out of the case, I don't wash them; I just air them out for a few to get rid of a slight rubber smell. If it's a reused jar, it already got washed when I was done with it and has been sitting in a cupboard bone dry, so I don't do an additional wash. After all, I don't wash a clean plate from the cupboard before I use it.

Reactions: AcesAndEights

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm with those who uses them new, out of the case but I do take the lids off and let the jar air out for about 10 or 15 minutes before putting the tobacco in.

For used jars, I do rinse them out and let them dry however I usually throw away the lid (not the ring) and replace with a new one. I've always thought the seal absorbs the smell of the tobacco.

Reactions: MattRVA
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I always wash new jars before using them. Pop the lid off a factory fresh mason jar and take a whiff. Fucking disgusting. Wash those factory juices out of there! Lol
If you let them air out that smell quickly dissipates

Forgot to add that you are right, though. Doesn't smell the greatest haha

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I'm with those who uses them new, out of the case but I do take the lids off and let the jar air out for about 10 or 15 minutes before putting the tobacco in.

For used jars, I do rinse them out and let them dry however I usually throw away the lid (not the ring) and replace with a new one. I've always thought the seal absorbs the smell of the tobacco.
I do this but I use rubbing alcohol between uses, I let it soak with the lid on for 24 hours to clean the jar out. I replace the lids often.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I wash new jars, lids and rings with hot water and soap and a scrub brush. I do the same when I finish the blend and it’s time for either a new blend or more of the same blend.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
First time using the jar, I don't wash it. Same blend going in, I don't wash it. Same genre, no wash, but will wipe it with paper towel. Completely different type, I wash it out with soap and warm water.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Nope. Never washed mine. Never had any issues and certainly don't smell anything "off" in a new jar either. People who say they do, I swear its probably just all in their heads.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Nope. Never washed mine. Never had any issues and certainly don't smell anything "off" in a new jar either. People who say they do, I swear its probably just all in their heads.
Theres for sure a funky smell that comes from a fresh Ball Mason Jar, just washed some fresh ones last night for a jarring session. Not sure if your trolling or what but I have over 200 different blends in jars and yeah there is a fresh factory funk. I mostly use 8oz and 16oz.

I didnt always wash fresh ones and none of my tobacco in those jars picked up any off flavors or aromas but I do wash fresh ones now regardless.