PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I see that appears to have a Lakeland topping. I've no experience of them but they seem to be divisive and known for ghosting?
Lakeland topping has a strong rose geranium scent.
Some love it, and a lot don't.
It's like being next to someone who has a very strong floral perfume on.

And it will definitely ghost your pipe.

Reactions: evillewis

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've yet to read of someone's pleasurable experience by beginning on strongly flavored aromatic tobaccos.

It didn't work for me and I tried and tried and tried...

My turning point (after over a year of "trying") came when I tried some old "codger" blends. Doesn't matter which one, just the fact that they were easier to light and keep lit; taste be damned to some degree. Then I sifted through, found that some tasted better than others, and soon I was off and exploring classic tobaccos.

That's when the real fun began.

In my book, Rule #1 would be no aromatics for beginners. Too many end up chasing the wrong aspect of the smoking experience.

Just my experience; to each their own.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I really love Samuel Gawith Grousemoor! ❤️

There are so many blends out there, it will take time, to start finding some you really enjoy, and then when you think that one was great, you’ll find another, it never ends! :)

View attachment 178211
Come for the dogs, stay for the great flavor! I admit, I got my first tin 100% for the tin art (and well aged to avoid the new label caution) and I love it! It’s my wailing about in cold weather favorite as well so I’m not anxious to have some, lol, but looking forward to it.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I see that appears to have a Lakeland topping. I've no experience of them but they seem to be divisive and known for ghosting?

No this isn’t Lakeland Sauce.

Lakeland is more like perfume/cologne/soap like scents.

Grousemoor smells of grass, lemon, tea like.

I haven’t had any issues with it ghosting my pipes. I have a recent 2021 tin, and a 2018 tin.

Last edited:
Reactions: evillewis