Was Pipe Smoking ever Popular in Sweden?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
New Cigars
3 Fresh Tine Balleby Pipes
4 Fresh Tsuge Ikebana Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Pipe smoking seemed to pretty common and popular both today and throughout the 19th and 20th centuries Europe. However I wondered if the advent of snus in the mid-early 19th century choked out pipe smoking amongst Swedes. Was dual usage (snus and pipe) ever common in Sweden?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m not a Swede but my friends are and they have told me they weren’t pipe smokers but many family members were back in the day. Both were cigarette smokers and one indulged in snus before quitting due to health issues. According to them it was common for their parents and grandparents - both are in their late fifties now so it was definitely a generational thing in their opinion.

Reactions: fishmansf

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I’m not a Swede but my friends are and they have told me they weren’t pipe smokers but many family members were back in the day. Both were cigarette smokers and one indulged in snus before quitting due to health issues. According to them it was common for their parents and grandparents - both are in their late fifties now so it was definitely a generational thing in their opinion.
Thanks! It sounds a lot like the US. As smoking decreased in popularity, so did pipesmoking. Snus is really great but there is something magical about pipe smoking that I can't seem to describe

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
In Finland people did smoke pipes up to the 1960s although the only Finnish pipe smoker I know is Paul, a lot of my wife's family seem to love Snus which I find terrible but with the exception of me no pipe smokers. In Norway it was certainly common to see people engaging in RYO as I always remember the gorgeous viking girls in the early 1980s sitting outside with a packet of Birds Snitt RYO tobacco. I used to buy the stuff and carefully change the 'n' to an 'h' so the packet read 'Birds Shitt' and then send it on to my friends in the U.K!

Reactions: makhorkasmoker

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
In Finland people did smoke pipes up to the 1960s although the only Finnish pipe smoker I know is Paul, a lot of my wife's family seem to love Snus which I find terrible but with the exception of me no pipe smokers. In Norway it was certainly common to see people engaging in RYO as I always remember the gorgeous viking girls in the early 1980s sitting outside with a packet of Birds Snitt RYO tobacco. I used to buy the stuff and carefully change the 'n' to an 'h' so the packet read 'Birds Shitt' and then send it on to my friends in the U.K!
I also use snus as well and am aware that’s the primary nicotine delivery system in Sweden. Funny enough now that I’ve convinced my wife to be okay with it, I’m thinking about quitting because of my genetic predisposition to high blood pressure. That’s food