Was I the First Adopter of Electric Vehicles on this Forum?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You were living like the Jetsons, while I was relegated to the Flintstones.
Absolutely iconic! I treasured mine.

George's comment made me research the movie of that name, came up with this:

"In the late 1920s, he switched from wood to steel, so that he could mass-produce his wagons, Pasin said. And he chose the words "radio" and "flyer" because they were the two coolest high-tech inventions of the day, he said. So, if he were naming it today, it might have been something like "quantum A.I. Jan 8, 2024".

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
You were living like the Jetsons, while I was relegated to the Flintstones.
Whenever I think of a young American lad I think of him pulling one of those trolleys whilst wearing one of those caps with a rotor blade on top which I assume spun around.

I must have seen that somewhere and the image has forever stuck in my mind.

Jay.

Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Whenever I think of a young American lad I think of him pulling one of those trolleys whilst wearing one of those caps with a rotor blade on top which I assume spun around.

I must have seen that somewhere and the image has forever stuck in my mind.

Jay.
That is quite interesting.
I definitely remember boys being depicted with those caps, on television and in print, but I cannot recall seeing someone actually wear one.

Whitey.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
My neighbor/friend (76 yo) across the street had one of these Green Machines in the attic of his garage...his daughters rode it around back in the day. Last summer he gave it to my grandsons. They love it.
Made the "Big Wheel" kids jealous. :)
Of course I had a Big Wheel too at one time.

Reactions: scloyd

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
I just dug out this photograph of me taken at my Grandmother's in Sussex when I guess I was aged about 5 or 6? If I recall it operated on a 12v car battery under the bonnet (hood) and there was always another on charge.

Wow did I love that little car, no brakes, just a go pedal and it went just above walking pace I believe.

I was born December 1961 so it would have been taken circa 1966-7 so can anyone here beat that?

View attachment 315378

Jay.
12 Volts! What’s that in metric? Awesome photo!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have a pic of me in a diaper up on a tractor with my Grandpa circa 1960 - diesel! We weren’t hugging trees, we were asphyxiating them!

Jun 9, 2018
England
I just dug out this photograph of me taken at my Grandmother's in Sussex when I guess I was aged about 5 or 6? If I recall it operated on a 12v car battery under the bonnet (hood) and there was always another on charge.

Wow did I love that little car, no brakes, just a go pedal and it went just above walking pace I believe.

I was born December 1961 so it would have been taken circa 1966-7 so can anyone here beat that?

View attachment 315378

Jay.
Be honest Jay, you had one of these back in the 1980's,didn't you?
I actually wanted a Sinclair C5 when I was a kid but I was too young. You had to be 14 to drive one. The battery lacked power and if you were going uphill you had to assist with the pedals😳

1723271727027.png

Jun 9, 2018
England
Sinclair C5 in traffic? No thanks.
View attachment 315428
Your head is literally at the perfect height to get whacked. In this picture you can see one of the extras. It stuck up in the air and had a reflector on the back, so trucks could see you better before they smashed into your head👌. When I was at school I actually had the brochure for the C5. Sadly I never owned one😔. It isn't too late though.
#Goals

1723272197288.png

Reactions: Uguccione

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I went to the car museum in Beaulieu last week. There was a Sinclair C5 there. It was very small and so low. Imagine putting a seat on a skateboard.
I think the Peel P50 and Jeremy Clarkson's "P45" were both better options. Both of which were in the museum.
1723277275100.png

Reactions: Searock Fan