PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
"Yet, I have most of those blends still in the tins in my cellar without being in bags, and no rust, no loss of seal, all doing just fine."

Cosmic . . . I'm guessing some of your tins have been sitting there for many years, am I right to assume that? I'm interested in doing the same thing. Easy peasy to just put the tins on a shelf or in a tub for me and NOT mylar the tin.

Brobs, same same--just wondering if I'm right to assume that some of your tins have been stored for several years and are okay?

Hoosier. . . I'm interested in your experiences of tins in those plastic bins NOT mylar bagged.

Same question to anyone else--who keep tins intact and sealed and leave them on the shelves or in tubs for several years--are things looking okay after long term storage? Thanks to one an all.
kindly
mike

Reactions: BROBS

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My spider senses tell me that some are going to tell you to open all of the tins and put them in jars
I remember about 4-5 years ago square tins were the topic of one of these general warnings.

I jarred approximately 200 tins of Klondike Gold, Dunhill Flake and John Aylesbury Luxury Flake and a few tins of odd and ends.

I put approximately 3 tins in a jar.

I’ve read and heard about all kinds of variations on “jarring”..... glass jars, with two piece lids are what long term storage is about.

I’m not trusting anything else.

Having said that. I still have square tins that have seals intact; however, I recently purchased a round screw top tin from 2009 that ended up with a failed seal.

Also in the last batch of GH&Co I had a rectangular tin with a failed seal.

I routinely inspect all seals because of this and it’s a reason my cellar is more jars than tins.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never sealed a tin of any type and I have never had a tin fail. I keep my house at 73-74 degrees and a constant humidity by using a whole house dehumidifier. I don't play with my tins. I stuffed plenty of tins under my bed, in unopened boxes in my closet. On the top shelf of my closet I loaded it up with both bulk and tins. I have been smoking 20 plus year tins. I have been smoking 15 year old bulk SG flakes and they have been perfect. I have also smoked some 2004 Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. I have been smoking stuff from 1997 and up and have not had a single issue. I live in SW Florida and I know what real humidity is like and I keep it out of my house.

If you are living in a place and are having big swings in heat or cold and heat and hi humidity you are probably going to have issues. I would try to get tins in a closet or some cool and dry place and just let them age.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I use mylar bags only for bulk. I have found that I can vacuum seal aromatics, the few that I smoke, and simple seal other bulks so that there is a bit of oxygen to be consumed before the aging process goes anaerobic. I never seal tins. At less than 100 pounds in my cellar, I can quickly check my bags for loss of seal and go through tins to assure myself that none have lost their seal. I have had one that lost its seal and that is because I dropped it and it landed squarely on its edge. I did not think much about it as I restacked it and a month later, when checked, it was no longer sealed...so into a jar.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
"Yet, I have most of those blends still in the tins in my cellar without being in bags, and no rust, no loss of seal, all doing just fine."

Cosmic . . . I'm guessing some of your tins have been sitting there for many years, am I right to assume that? I'm interested in doing the same thing. Easy peasy to just put the tins on a shelf or in a tub for me and NOT mylar the tin.

Brobs, same same--just wondering if I'm right to assume that some of your tins have been stored for several years and are okay?

Hoosier. . . I'm interested in your experiences of tins in those plastic bins NOT mylar bagged.

Same question to anyone else--who keep tins intact and sealed and leave them on the shelves or in tubs for several years--are things looking okay after long term storage? Thanks to one an all.
kindly
mike
I’ve had ones I bought 4 years ago. No issues or change.

I’ve also bought 20 year plus aged tins, stored in no special way, that have had excellent contents. So tins, I’m leaving.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Conversely a thread could be started about tins drying out and there would be likely (this is an assumption on my part) as many people stating they've had problems with it as there are people in this thread saying they've not had problems.

So the only fully reliable solution is to remove your tobacco from its tin and put it in a jar.

Sounds like a case of "damned if you , damned if you don't".

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There is no way I am opening every tin I have to put them in jars. I will take my chances on my experiences and Pease can take his chances on jarring all his tins.
Same. I think you’re more likely to have problems jarring all your tins than just leaving them alone. He probably wants you to jar his tins because they are shit.

ease is about the best guy to listen to when it comes to tobacco but I think is somewhat wide of the mark here. I have never put anything in a jar for long term storage.
Ford may know more about cars and trucks than me, but when they started telling people to go back to changing their oil every 3 months or 30,000, I decided that I should just do my own thing, ha ha.
Pease can scream at me to put everything in jars till he is blue in the face, but that is about the stupidest thing I ever heard. Especially since I have never ever had a seal break on a tin.
Besides, I think if Greg knew his suggestion was being bantered about like it was dogmatic gospel, that he would be the first person to cut those people down to their knees. Dogma doesn't belong in pipesmoking.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I seal square tins in Mylar. I’ve only been using Mylar for about 4 years, so it’s not like I’ve got long term results.

Besides, how much rust are we talking about? A dusting on the outside, or totally corroded?

Whatever the catalyst, there only a certain amount present in any given tin, and once that reaction has stopped, then the rust will cease.

I can’t envision a tin sealed in Mylar totally eaten away 20 years down the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.