Warning: Fraudster on eBay Selling Counterfeit Eltangs, Possibly Castellos Etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The seller's excuse, when properly composted, might be useful for growing flowers. He is complicit in perpetrating a fraud, period, for which he should be barred from ebay and put behind bars in the local hoosegaw. He is just a steaming load.
And, he's continuing to perpetrate fraud. The Castellos may have gone, but the Caminettos live on, and that crappy looking "Nordh" has now reached $3650.00.
P. T. Barnum was right.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
You know, I have just had a look at his Peterson pipes too. I never paid close attention to them thinking "Who would forge a Peterson". But I have to say, the hallmarks on the silver collars look suspect to me. He never shows good clear photographs of the hallmarks, but I am sure I saw one stamped as 925. This is not a mark that the official Dublin Assay office uses. I would like to see clearer images of these hallmarks to fully determine their legitimacy, but it appears there may be fake Peterson pipes for sale there too.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
Fellas,

Read the thread on "Brothers of Briar".

I did the leg work and posted the actual source of the pipes in China.

They are all fakes! Numerous pipesters have contacted the seller and he'll continue to sell. E-Bay could care less.

Now, if anyone can get me the seller's name and address, I can do "something" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) to stop his importations of these counterfeits.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
PS: The "Bo Nordh" is still up and is over $3K!!!

The fills throughout the pipe are PRICELESS! HA HA HA!!!
PPS: Just noticed that the pics with the fills were just deleted by the seller........

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was interested in what the buying history was with the three top bidders competing for the "Nordh" pipe. None of them are straight-ahead pipe collectors. The one in the lead, who has recapped his maximum bid twice, buys more tins than pipes. Another one buys "Hawaiian" collectibles and text books.

There are newbies and a couple of "wannabe" Nordh collectors. The big gun collectors haven't appeared yet. Maybe they know it's not the real thing and are just watching the Checkovian comedy unfold.

When this sells for a chunk of money it's going to start a gold rush of fakes out of the middle kingdom. If confidence plummets, so will prices for estates that lack documentation.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Read the thread on "Brothers of Briar".
Can't. I get the following message: "Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum."

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
The "trading post" section is restricted to members. Why not join up?
I did, but it turns out that....:
2. Members may not do any commerce in the TP until they've been members in good standing for 30 days, with at least 30 posts. In fact, you may not see the topic at all if you haven't reached this threshold. (Even if you do by some chance, the 30/30 rules apply.)

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
You think I overpaid?
Nah, I'm just little bitter that my limit was at $8,000.
But seriously. Do the Nordhs typically come with fissures and sandpits like this?:
NuQ4gTt.jpg

May 31, 2012
LOL ROTFLMAO LOL @ Homer!!!!
Recent update

via

Marty Pulvers
There has been some very heavy

lifting done to alleviate, at least for

the moment, the counterfeiting

that almost certainly has come out

of China. Thanks to a

multi-barreled effort, the Chinese

pipe maker responsible for the

counterfeited Paolo Becker, Tom

Eltang and Castello pipes (there

may have been even more brands

mis-represented, as it were) has

been fired. He was not, however,

re-assigned to North Korea, as

suggested here. (Nobody ever

does what I suggest. I can't help

but think, 'boy, this would be

some world if people would only

listen to me.' Of course, I

wouldn't want to rule the world

alone. I'd have the fair and

balanced advice of my right-hand

man, Photographer Len, to tweak

the scale to perfection. Things

would be different; you bet.)

The inside scoop is that this

person acted entirely unilaterally,

and will not soon be in any

position to access the materials

that would make it possible for

him to repeat the performance. As

my source informed me, " You will

also notice that the eBay store

based in AZ has removed any and

all pipes originating in China from

their store. Both the manufacturer

in China, and the company in

Arizona have received a

cease-and-desist from my

attorneys in Beijing and the U.S.,

respectively."

"Now here's the thing. This is a

game of whack-a-mole. I've

smacked one of them down, but

another one is bound to pop up.

The problem is that most pipe

makers are not business men, and

have absolutely no clue how to

protect their mark, their

intellectual property, etc.

Additionally, doing this in China,

in a way that's actually actionable

is a huge pain in the ass, and it

cost me close to $20K. For me, it's

worth it, but who else is gonna do

that?"

My anonymous source further

commented on the iconic shapes

by a number of well known pipe

makers that have been ripped off

by Russian and Asian artisans.

When pipe prices hit these

atmospheric levels, this is the kind

of deviousness that almost

certainly has to ensue.

Again, I urge you all to be

vigilant, don't expect something

for nothing and, as the govt. is

always urging us, report any

suspicious activity. (Not, I must

insist, any suspicious activity that

emanates from this site. It may be

suspicious, sure, but it's only

silliness and not damaging.)

Initially, I indicated that I had

questions about the involvement

of a couple of U.S. pipe makers

who have done a good bit of

business in China. Knowing, as I

now do, the home of the forgeries,

and the supply line to the U.S.,

any thought of involvement by

these pipe makers is eliminated. It

is clear that, if anything, they have

been victims rather than

participants and more than

cooperative in stopping the

forgeries.

As news develops, I will keep

you all informed.

Marty

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I really don't know what to make of that Pulvers' column. I’ve always liked his writing and I understand that his writing is often humorous, but I still can't take the whole thing as a joke. Help an obtuse foreigner out, am I misunderstanding the whole thing?
Thanks to a multi-barreled effort, the Chinese pipe maker responsible for the counterfeited Paolo Becker, Tom Eltang and Castello pipes (there may have been even more brands mis-represented, as it were) has been fired. [...] The inside scoop is that this person acted entirely unilaterally, and will not soon be in any position to access the materials that would make it possible for him to repeat the performance.
If the forger has been fired, who was his employer?
And how can you possibly prevent anyone to have access to briar and ebonite? Unless you incarcerate the artisan, of course. Why not break his hands if you are going on that route.
As my source informed me, "You will also notice that the eBay store based in AZ has removed any and all pipes originating in China from their store.
The AZ based eBay store is currently still up and selling fakes. This "Dunhill" certainly isn't an original and many others appear dubious to me. Members here have been suspicious of some of factory made pipes on the site, as well.
[...]"Additionally, doing this in China, in a way that's actually actionable is a huge pain in the ass, and it cost me close to $20K. For me, it's worth it, but who else is gonna do that?"
Did someone actually spend $20k in lawyer fees in order to shut the Chinese forger and the AZ eBay seller down? If he did, he didn’t get his money’s worth.
I don’t even want to go any further about the US pipe maker(s) first being a part of the forgery ring and then declared innocent, or the unrelated claim about the Asians and Russians pipe makers copying shapes (and surely many pipe makers do this?).
I probably shouldn’t have raised these questions at all, but since I’m the original “whistle-blower” on the issue, I’m still curious about this.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even with the $8K bid on the counterfeit, this seems like penny ante as these operations go. Unless they are really

doing volume. Someone in China is learning to carve pipes, for good or ill. If some actually learned the craft, they

might do some presentable briars, if that were their motive, although it would take some years to win trust. The

established estate pipe retailers will have to assess their pipes more and more carefully to see what they are getting.

I don't buy on ebay; too hard to tell what you're getting, even with a Yello Bole.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike from Briar Blues knows Marty as well as anyone and I am sure he can confirm what Marty has said. In my limited dealings with him I would take him at his word/

Status
Not open for further replies.