PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wanderer0311

Lurker
May 6, 2024
Bethesda, MD
Hey, fellow Old Bay enthusiast! Sadly, the brick and mortar stores are few and far between. Most of the tobacco shops around the Baltimore area are, well, "tobacco" shops. You might check out Davidus, there's a few around. Mostly a few C&D, Pease, and Peterson tins with a couple jars of C&D, Lane, and a Stokkebye along the back. The one in Westminister is very good for pipes, the manager there smokes one. But mostly they are cigars. John B. Hayes in Winchester, Virginia as well as Boswell in Chambersburg, PA are great stores though and well worth the trip. Since I got out of the army in 2004, I've only seen 3 other people smoking a pipe, and they were all in Frederick.

As far as urban pipe smokers, it's hard for an urban smoker of tobacco in general. More and more anti smoking legislation and ordinances, higher and higher taxes combine to push tobacco underground. With cancer sticks, it's easier. When pushed I could have a cigarette pulled out, lit, smoked, field stripped, and butt in the trash can in 4 minutes. Can't really do that with a pipe. And I'm sure there are pipe clubs around, but I've never gone looking for them. It's not why I smoke a pipe.
Thanks for the BM reviews. Yeah, I've been to a few Davidus (Rockville, Gaithersburg, Ellicott City, Towson) and they are exactly like you said: the focus is on cigars and basically, even as a 3 month noob, I know more about pipes than all the employees I've met. I've heard about both John B Hayes and Boswell, so definitely plan to go sometime this year!

Hey nice to hear you got out in 2004! I joined the Marines in 2004 and got out in 2014. Ha you still got the vocabulary though, saying things like "field stripped in under 4 mins"

SootLeaf

Lurker
Sep 18, 2022
Maryland
Wow thanks for this thorough review. I was attracted cus of the tin art but now your descriptions made it worth putting in the cart. Btw I'm in MD and new to pipe smoking (about 3 months in). Glad to see more DMV folks! Browsing these forums makes it seem like there are no pipe smokers in metro areas. Are you part of a pipe club? And any good local B&Ms your way?
As a Marylander always looking for a reason to plug my favorite B&M, I'm going to throw Leesburg Cigar & Pipe out there. A small place but the new owner who took over a few years back is super friendly and is a pipe enthusiast himself.

God, the smell-o-vision in this thread is real. Personally can't stand anise so I never actually got past cracking the one tin of green I ever had. That one tin certainly left an impression though, and that impression lingered for a couple days in my living room.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Thanks for the BM reviews. Yeah, I've been to a few Davidus (Rockville, Gaithersburg, Ellicott City, Towson) and they are exactly like you said: the focus is on cigars and basically, even as a 3 month noob, I know more about pipes than all the employees I've met. I've heard about both John B Hayes and Boswell, so definitely plan to go sometime this year!

Hey nice to hear you got out in 2004! I joined the Marines in 2004 and got out in 2014. Ha you still got the vocabulary though, saying things like "field stripped in under 4 mins"
Boswell is definitely worth the trip. Hayes was worth the stop if I'm there in Winchester or going part it anyways. For me, anyways. It's a 2 hour trip from Baltimore to Winchester. But around Winchester is so beautiful, and there's some great restaurants within walking distance from Hayes. So it's very easy to find excuses to be in the area. If for no other reason than Skyline Drive has some wonderful places to try out the new tobacco or pipe.

Yeah, I still have a military vocabulary at times. I still hold AARs after events, still shout "MAKE A HOLE" when needed, things are still fubar except for when they're snafu or squared away or outstanding, and I still utilize knife hand when gesturing. I got to play with some of your fellow Misguided Children in the desert about a year before you joined. Great people that I was glad were on my team.

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
[Snip]

God, the smell-o-vision in this thread is real. Personally can't stand anise so I never actually got past cracking the one tin of green I ever had. That one tin certainly left an impression though, and that impression lingered for a couple days in my living room.
I took a picture, but it ghosted my phone.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Try the War Horse Bar in the red tin. Opinions on this stuff cover the entire spectrum from 'I cannot live without this blend' to 'Which mentally ill midget created this blend'. It should satisfy most of your needs and you can always think of it as the tobacco world's answer to duct tape!
The brighter ideas of the unmedicated midget ....invaluable 🙂
Yes, probably have 10tins of the red bar on the shelf, now.

Reactions: grimpeur and Carol

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Someone on here once said they could smell the 'Bar' from their front porch to the mailbox. A little known fact is that you can use an open tin placed in the pocket of a wool suit as a substitute for Moth balls. I have also heard tell that the Green is an excellent contraceptive but exactly how has never been elaborated to me and perhaps it is best visualized.

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I’m working my way through my first tin of this. I’d describe this as a masculine Lakeland. If Lakeland is granny panties then this is grandpa’s pantaloons.
Grandpa strength anise! Yeah, that's very fair to say. A Lakeland type essence, a non floral "sauce".

And as I smoke more of it, I find that I like it the way I like Lakelands. I do like them. When I'm in the mood for it, nothing else will do. But if I'm not in the mood for it, just no.

Last edited:

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I'm not an aromatic fan, but I smoked this yesterday for the first time, and I love it.
Maybe strong tobacco to back it up is what I need to enjoy heavily topped tobacco because I do like some of the heavily flavored British tobacco's.
It's I guess technically it's an aromatic. But it's not like a nice happy licorice. It's more a darker deeper anise. And very tobacco after the about the first 1/4 or so.

If you like those heavily flavored British tobaccos, check out G&H Broken Flake 7. It's a Lakeland burley.

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'm not an aromatic fan, but I smoked this yesterday for the first time, and I love it.
Maybe strong tobacco to back it up is what I need to enjoy heavily topped tobacco because I do like some of the heavily flavored British tobacco's.
What a coincidence: due to this thread, I had my first experience with War Horse yesterday, too.

Because I favour medium to full tobacco, I found myself puffing away, wondering what all the hullabaloo was about; I thought it was full-bodied, but nothing exceptional.

Lol, ten or fifteen minutes later, the nic-cups started. Good stuff! I'll go slower next time, maybe after a meal.

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
What a coincidence: due to this thread, I had my first experience with War Horse yesterday, too.

Because I favour medium to full tobacco, I found myself puffing away, wondering what all the hullabaloo was about; I thought it was full-bodied, but nothing exceptional.

Lol, ten or fifteen minutes later, the nic-cups started. Good stuff! I'll go slower next time, maybe after a meal.
Exactly my experience! Something satisfying after a meal that would smell nice in the car.

Reactions: grimpeur