PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Just posting to see if anyone else has noticed this and if any of the esteemed SToP forum members have any advice.
I bought a few tins each of War Horse Bar and Green about a month ago and promptly jarred a tin of each which reside on my kitchen table smoking prep area. The other "sealed" tins are in my closet tobacco cellar. Every time I open my closet door, I smell anise/floral aroma of the Green. Does this mean my tins have a bad seal and will dry out? I'll jar if needed, but prefer to store unopened tobacco in the original tins. Anyone else notice this? Does anyone with experience with these tins or inside knowledge of these blends have any input?

Thanks.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Greetings!
As one of the founders of the Standard Tobacco Co. of Pennsylvania, allow me to tackle this. I. too have noticed exactly what you are talking about. When I open a box from P&C with War Horse Red or Green in it, the inside of the box smells like...Warhorse. My theory as of now is that since these bars are tinned by hand, the topping is getting on the workers hands (gloved hands)and then transferred to the tin. I have yet to come across a tin that wasn't sealed tight.
Enjoy!
9589.0L.jpg
You want a sealed tin, or a tin seal?

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I had a tin of the ready rubbed. I tested the seal very gently and it came right off. I remember mentioning this and another member had tins arrive with the seals popped / tobacco in the shipping box.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
To date, I have yet to pop a tin of War Horse, War Horse Bar or War Horse Green and find it dryer than it should be. But if you find a problem, please let me know, ASAP.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Cool, it sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Thanks for the feedback, Woodsroad. And, yes, I want a tin seal. Even better would be a tin seal that is a sealed tin of tobacco. Maybe SToP's new project: Tin Seal blend...
@guyrox - glad you noticed it too. I wondered if it was just me
@jitterbugdude - Scratch-n-sniff labels would be brilliant for pipe tobacco! You may have just had a million dollar idea there.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Well, I asked a similar question a bit ago...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tobacco-cellar-smells-like-tobacco
...and received comments that amounted to "you fuckwit" along with no real explanation for the phenomenon. So for now, I accept cellaring sealed tobacco tins and the leaching of tobacco essence into the room. :puffpipe:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If the tins are sealed by hand, I wouldn't trust the seal. Personally where I keep my tobacco they're in boxes, and my box of erinmore smells like erinmore, my nightcap smells like nightcap, my SG FVF smells of that, etc, etc, etc. The only tins I get not smell from are the McClellend's variety. I've never had a seal go on a round tin or a square tin, but considering you know that the war horse bars were just recently tinned, to err on the side of caution I would simply jar them as you aren't really missing out on any age. When I open a round tin of dunhill or a square tin of Erinmore of FVF it's not an easy task and requires a definite deliberate force to get it open. If it's just being sealed by hand though I doubt that there's enough force applied for a proper seal, and if you're opening them quite easily, I would definitely jar them up. I don't really trust the coleman cooler method or tupperware thing, I store my cigars in a cooler and they need hydration as I notice in the winter when it gets really dry I need to add moisture, the summer is very humid so neither my coolidor or my actual humidor needs any water added.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tins leak. Simple as that. When I leave a pile of tins in an enclosed area I will smell tobacco when I open the door.

This isn't particular to Warhorse. I've put my tins in sealed bins, and that's taken care of the smell, but they're still leaking inside those bins. I suppose I should seal them in a heat sealed bags at some point. I also suspect that the square or rectangular tins are the least likely to hold a seal as the pressure isn't even along the perimeter.

Though tins leak, they apparently do so at a slow enough rate that the pressure in the tin is still less than outside for a substantial amount of time, and the tobacco doesn't dry out for years.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
To clarify - the lids are affixed by hand, but then they're put into a chamber that draws a vacuum afterwards. If there are tins that don't "pop", let someone know so we can address this.
Russ

brianlevine

Might Stick Around
Oct 10, 2011
As I have said on a couple episodes of "The Pipes Magazine Radio Show", if I am aging a tin that is a standard flat round or square tin, I wrap it once all the way around in Saran Wrap. All of these flat tins leak and over time, run the risk of popping. A simple layer of Saran Wrap folded around it will add another layer of protection from the tin leaking or popping.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As I have said on a couple episodes of "The Pipes Magazine Radio Show", if I am aging a tin that is a standard flat round or square tin, I wrap it once all the way around in Saran Wrap. All of these flat tins leak and over time, run the risk of popping. A simple layer of Saran Wrap folded around it will add another layer of protection from the tin leaking or popping.
Time for me to break out the Saran Wrap and have a Saran Wrap orgy!!

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Note to self... buy a bunch of cheap electrical tape, mark it up 10 fold and sell as " Tobacco Tin Tape".. Look for me on The Shark Tank in the near future.. :D

Saran Wrap and I do not get along. At my jeweler's bench, I can finesse the most delicate of tiny microscopic diamonds into their settings and push prongs down perfectly to hold each one secure for generations... but put a roll of plastic wrap in my hands, and I am I Love Lucy working on the chocolate candy assembly line. My wife hides it from me, because she is afraid that I might accidentally suffocate myself... or one of the kids... or the dog.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Maybe but the vinyl electrical tape would be cheaper and can stretch and conform tightly to the shape of the lid and can better(especially if you use it warmed). I can't see how anything would ever get past that! One could even use a wrap of the rubber tape first then a wrap of the vinyl over it.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
You can also use Parafilm found here. You can cut it into thin strips the same width as the tin and then stretch around the tin to seal. It will adhere (not permanently) to the tin and itself. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
20170111_181301-600x450.jpg

The top tin is without Parafilm and the bottom tin has stretched Parafilm. This is the same manner as sealing petri dishes in the laboratory. N.B. I use the 4 inch wide Parafilm.

Status
Not open for further replies.