PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It arrived. I really don't know what to say? It is probably the strongest pipe tobacco that I've ever smoked? The smell in the nice little pouch that Ash packaged it in was kind of intoxicating. It's deep, rich, and subtly medicinal. I sliced my piece up a bit and then rubbed it out a little. I smoked it in a old Dunhill billiard. It was hard to keep lit, which was good because it made me really experience it. It's tobacco for sure. I had to sit it down at one point. The flavor is like nothing I've had before. It's strong and robust with the strangest taste. I'm really at a loss as to what to compare it to? Maybe well done game meat with burnt rosemary and a dash of hippie oil? It's not bad, but not real good either. Again, it's strong on all angles which I like. I'm definitely feeling it. Thanks Ash! A once and a lifetime experience.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Preface:

Not sober. 2/3 of a 1/5.

Thank you sir for providing the opportunity to partake in this... experiment?

I received today, a Mylar ziplock bag w/ 2 little chunks of the almighty War Horse Bar. 1 piece ~ .5” x .5” x .5”. The other about a third of that size. Took a benchmade to the pieces of plug to cube cut best I could. Gravity filled a meerschaum cutty and only got about 1/3 bowls worth. No matter, I’ve benefited greatly from the generosity of ash among others from this forum, and was truly appreciative. Charring light left me with watery eyes. Mind you all, I’m a pack a day cigarette smoker, head down mowing the lawn, cigarette in mouth- smoke rising up to my face, never a bother. First impression- wet dog hair. 2nd match. Determined, I kept at it. After all this, has been sitting in some dark corner for the past 50 years. 3rd match. 1/2 way thru the small bowl I started to sense a bit of sweetness, maybe savory? I’m not sure... I’m really trying to like it. I thought to myself, ‘if this was what pipe smoking was all about, I could happily abandon this hobby of mine,’

Then I started to notice the drooling. What the hell? I kept at it. More drool. If I wanted to catch a buzz this badly I could think of a number of more pleasurable paths. Slow down, I thought to myself. Gently sipping, I noticed a burning in the back of my throat as if I had been inhaling. Why are there 5 matches in my ashtray?? Where did the time go? What have I been doing?

6th match. Glad it was only 1/3 of a bowl. I’m over it. Going to sleep. Glance at the counter... why is there still 1/2”x1/2”x1/2” cube still in the ziplock bag??

Going to sleep now, looking forward to round 2!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@CondorLover, Simon, Thank You for the added info on the British cigarettes from the past and how they were like , now to these WarHorse and Condor plugs,really I can't stop wondering what kind of men smoked these like overly heavy in nicotine blends all they long,those men must have been a real bad asses'and I must assume some of those folks from the past might have been starting their smoking journey just only with these like nicotine hammer blends,yet I'd guess some of them while being young lads may have been winding up in hospitals after attempting smoking these or other strong ropes for the first time.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
It is Sunday...waiting for Monday...hoping it is there...gonna smoke a smidgen and take the rest with me to N.C. to a good friend of 6 years...write him bout every day for 6 years...never met him, but he is still my brother and that is why I am taking this treasure up to him so we can both experience this wonderful tobacco together. Maybe Lonecoyote will be there too, in which case he will be included in the party.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Jmill, nice Tom Petty reference. I also like "I'm the night watchman"; although, some of you might be spinning toward a "breakdown".

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I received my sample Saturday. Unable to smoke it yet. I did give it a whiff and passed out. :lol:
Hopefully I can give it a go today.
Thanks again!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Looking forward to today's mail...hopefully the package will be there...ready to ride that horse, even had breakfast since I don't want to be on the floor looking up and wondering how I got there.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m sorry, it’s been a busy weekend, I haven’t even checked my mailbox yet. I’ll check it today when I get back home. I’ll plan on smoking some tonight if it has arrived.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Checked the PO box this morning. But I'm further east than most of you, so fingers crossed it arrives soon!
Maybe well done game meat with burnt rosemary and a dash of hippie oil?
Cool! Sounds like it's still fresh, then.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Got it, Thanks, Ash...gonna send you back a little something to show my appreciation for the chance to sample a little history.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Reminded me of a small block of opium, brought back from Viet Nam...said "that lil bit is not gonna do nothing"...then I light it up....and it lit me up...three puffs and I was headed for the A/C...like right in front of it.
Many thanks, Ash...finally got to see what the big boys smoked way back when...they must have had cast iron lungs...was nice and flavorful...sort of like on the order of Condor...I have a tiny briar paneled pipe that I use for testing high octane stuff...only a few chips in it was enough for me to lie down...this is a real treat! Savin the rest for when I go see a brother in NC, I'll be taken this pipe with me...only thing to smoke this in...something really small.
545QyHQl.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
It's here, it's here, it's here!
Settling down with my smallest pipe (a nice little Wilmer Featherlight) and a glass of iced tea immediately after we finish our supper to see what happens. Stay tuned for the review immediately following. Unless I'm incapable of coherent thought, LOL.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Mine arrived today. I'm planning to try 'er out on a full stomach tomorrow evening. I have a small pipe for testing, a decently high nicotine tolerance, and high expectations.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Haha, I love some of the reviews. This stuff must be really something. And to think this was readily available years ago. There must have been some tough SOB's back in the day.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks got mine today... smells perdy awesome. I won’t be able to get to it tonight but I’ll be toking up tomorrow fo sho! Thanks again, Ash, you da man, mang!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Whew! That's some potent stuff. It was a real pleasure to smoke it and yes, those old timers were probably how the notion of Hobbits got started, because a regular diet of this tobacco would have stunted their growth and caused hair to grow on their feet.
Dark and compact presentation, pressed into dense bar. Smelled strong as I rubbed it out, with some decent effort. Required no dry time (turns out more than a half century was sufficient) and needed several relights. At first puff there was a Condor / Lakeland type of scent or taste, but it was rather mild and not terribly noticeable throughout the smoke, although it never really disappeared. Strong, with a slightly acrid edge, reminiscent of a blend with cigar leaf. The retrohale nearly cauterized my sinuses, so I didn't do that very much. Rich, hearty with a tangy and smoky flavor, it reminds me of Samuel Gawith Kendal #4 a bit. Burned to a fine ash, little moisture left in the bowl, although the pipe did get warmish towards the end. I didn't fall down and the room didn't spin, but that's probably because I've been smoking G&H and SG ropes a lot lately and also because I had just eaten a hearty meal and used a very small pipe. Absent one of those criteria I might have fallen down and the room probably would have spun.
Altogether, a fantastic experience for which I am deeply grateful to Mr. Ash for! Thank you, sir! I still have enough for probably 1-1/2 or 2 more pipes. Just not tonight.
:clap: :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.