PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Early Monday morning i'll be driving down to Disney World with my fiancee for four days. I plan on bringing a couple pipes to enjoy and keep my sanity in check. So, i'm just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with Disney World as far as smoking goes. Are smoking areas frequent? Are they decent areas, or back alley next-to-the-dumpster type of areas?
Also, doing a little research, there appears to be a cigar store called Sosa Family Cigars in the Downtown Disney area. Anyone been there? If so, do they carry anything pipe-related, or just cigars?
Mods: I didn't know if this would be General Pipe Discussion or General Discussion. Feel free to move 8)

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I have been to the Sosa shop a couple of times and do not recall any pipe related items... great cigar selection though!! There is also another nice cigar shop (more of a cigar bar!) at Universal's City Walk.... Have fun!!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Hmm, can't speak for Disney World, only been there once years ago, but I do know there are still smoking areas in Disneyland.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'd say since Disney is pretty child centric, there is either no smoking areas or back alley smoking areas. Although everything at Disney is pretty nice, so smoking areas might be nice. My bet is that there is no smoking though.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I've never actually smoked at Disneyland. We go every couple of years, as we live in Northern California. I do know that one smoking area is on the backside of Thunder Mountain and isn't much to look at. However, there's another area that has a lovely view of the Haunted Mansion and the old Tom Sawyer's Island. I've been tempted to bring a cob and stand there waving as the Mark Twain passes by, but I haven't...YET!

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Contrary to what most people think, Disney World is very adult friendly. You can buy a wide array of alcoholic beverages in every park except the Magic Kingdom, for example. I was last there a year and a half ago, I wasn't smoking then, and I remember people smoking. I just didn't pay attention to it :lol:

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
We definitely smoked cigars in the Downtown Disney and City Walk areas........ didn't think about it in the parks themselves though.....

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I recently went to Epcot and they Had 5-6 smoking areas. Some are in alleys but no dumpster and some were along walkways. I suggest getting a map when you get there and find where they are first thing, they dont have big neon signs. You could only recognize it from a little sign on the ashtrays and of course by the congregating cigg smokers.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, you will definitely stand out as a pipe smoker. I've seen one guy smoking a cigar in all the times I've been to any of the parks, mostly cigarettes. I was in Waikiki recently and the smoking area at my hotel was the same way. People would shoot in and out for a cigarette break, but I was the only pipe smoker.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Thanks to everyone so far.
@tokerpipes My fiancee and I really enjoyed Epcot last time we went. We'll be spending two of our four days there, "drinking around the world" as they say 8) Glad to know I can enjoy a pipe while im at it.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
You may need a trip in Mr. Peabody's WABAC machine.

It seems the Tobacco Shop at Disneyland closed in 1991.

tobaccoshop_1987.jpg

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I know a member on another forum who posted about their experience at Disney World as pipe smokers. Let's just say that her experience was less than exciting. According to her, smoking areas in the park are far and few between, and mostly in the back alley form. If you stay in a hotel on the premises, you have to got outside to smoke as well. She said it was all too much trouble to enjoy her pipe, and wound up smoking cigs while she was there instead. I myself, have no first hand knowledge of what it is like as I've never been, and have no desire to go there. YMMV.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Well, just got back last night. My experience was similar to the person mark was referencing above. In the actual parks, it was just too much trouble. It was too crowded and hectic to even try to enjoy a pipe. In the hotel resort though, I found it quite agreeable. We stayed at the Pop Century resort, so maybe a more expensive hotel would be even nicer. The designated smoke areas were pretty decent, shaded, with benches, and actually weren't shoved behind some maintenance building.
I found the best way to do it, is "freestyle". By that I mean, walk around smoking wherever you please, or make your own smoking area. As long as you avoid hotel staff, no one seems to bother you. I think people simply didn't feel like bothering with a couple of liquored up 20-somethings having a grand ol' time :lol:
The Downtown Disney area was great, smoking anywhere. Except inside of course. There were two establishments selling cigars, nothing pipe related. The first one I stopped in was Fuego, a cigar bar. The selection was very limited, and it was somewhat crowded. We waited around for probably 5-10 minutes and no one came over to ask if I wanted anything, so we left. Next I hit Sosa Family Cigars, which was surprisingly devoid of customers when I walked in. There was an older gentleman smoking a cigar behind the counter, and two younger salespeople smoking cigars as I walked in. That's what I like to see 8) Their humidor was modest. They had Punch, Perdomo, Sosa Family, Ghurka, and a few other makers I didn't take notice of. I told the salesman I wanted something short and medium bodied, he hooked me up with a Ghurka Ninja Knife. Definitely hit the spot, good stuff.
That's about all I have to report back on. If you're going to Walt Disney World, go ahead and bring a pipe. I had some pretty nice smokes at night at our hotel. You just have to be creative 8)

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Hey, Philip thanks for that old pic! I was going to say that Disneyland California used to have a tobacco shop right on Main Street USA, and there's a pic. Uncle Walt had the right vibe when he opened the park. My how things have changed there today...

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
The last time I went to dinneywoorld was last October, and they still had designated smoking areas. Also had them at Epcot. I also smoked at downtown Disney at the Sosa Shop (pricey) and along the walk.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
When you get to the park, get a map of the property. The map will list all of the smoking areas.
Not bad really. Have fun !!

Status
Not open for further replies.