PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Should a pipe with thicker walls smoke cooler than a pipe with thinner ones? I have some pipes with extremely thick walls, one is a Former free hand, another is a Winslow another is a Savinelli autorgraph. All three have extremely thick walls and they are very cool smoking pipes. Yet I have others like my Caminetto business, an Upshall and a couple more Winslows that smoke just as cool but the walls are not as thick.
I wonder why thicker walls don't automatically translate into a cooler smoking pipe? Anyone else wonder about this?

Jul 15, 2011
A lot of this is going to depend on the quality of the briar. I have been led to believe that the lighter a pipe is, the longer the briar has been allowed to cure and dry and thus translates to a better pipe. While it should certainly be true that thicker walls means more wood, which in turn translates to better heat absorption, if the briar has not been allowed enough time to age and is of lower quality, it might be a less quality smoke than a different pipe that is of higher quality briar. I have a couple of pipes that have very thick walls but aren't as cool smoking as some of my higher quality, thinner walled pipes.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've have had some pipes with thick walls that didn't smoke any better than some with thinner walls.My favorite pipe is one with thick walls yet feels very light weight.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Pipe Novelist, that makes a lot of sense. My thickest walled pipe is my Former freehand and it is a very light pipe even though it is quite large. I have a Peretti billiard that is about the same size and wall thickness as my Don Carlos billiard and the Don Carlos smokes much cooler that the Peretti. The Don Carlos is a much more expensive pipe so I guess the quality of the briar does makes a huge difference.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I love a pipe that has a nice thickness to the walls without being too heavy or feeling off balance. On the flipside, I don't generally like pipes with thin walls. I have a Wessex Canadian that I bought a few months ago that has is the thinnest walled pipe in my collection. While it smokes well, the more I handle it the less I care for the appearance. I guess I like my pipes somewhere in betweeen.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have often wondered why some of my thinner walled pipes burn cooler. I wonder if it also has to do with how much oxygen actually gets to your tobacco?

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
great discussion

still need to figure that as i only have 3 briar (one remain un-smoked) and have 5 cobs (one remain un-smoked)

I think i start liking cob more than briar as i can abuse them and they still serve me great. :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My thin walled Edwards pipes smoke very cool, while I have some thicker walled Petersons and other brands that seem hotter. I suspect that the growing region, age, and curing have as much to do with it or more that the wall thickness. I have thin walled Cutty that smokes great and cool, and a fat Brigham pot that tends to get hot. Luck of the draw, my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.