PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome from Illinois. I think it's cool that you and your wife are going enjoy pipes together.

Jan 29, 2020
Ellsinore, Mo.
First off I just had a case of Diabeteic shock looking at all the sugar in them tobacco's you chose ...haha just kidding... I just ordered Sutliff creme brulee!! Secondly, let your tobacco air out especially with them being wetter aromatics..Thirdly, the pipe that you chose has a wide Bowl so it would be better to let the tobacco really dry out more..Sometimes wider bowls are harder to keep going especially with an aromatic. Forth, get a butane pipe lighter as they seem to do the best job on wider bowls. Last but not least,

WELCOME TO THE BRIAR

Btw, born and raised in the Dirty Lou ?

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Welcome from another Missourian. If you're interested in meeting a nice tobacconist and getting advice check out John Dengler Tobacconist in St. Charles, MO. If you go to their website and select Tobaccos they have a nice description of their blends.

Reactions: Strolling Troll
Jan 29, 2020
Ellsinore, Mo.
Welcome from another Missourian. If you're interested in meeting a nice tobacconist and getting advice check out John Dengler Tobacconist in St. Charles, MO. If you go to their website and select Tobaccos they have a nice description of their blends.

I'm gonna have to look them up. I'm big about keeping it local and home state.

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
Welcome from Arizona, sounds like your going to have some fun smoking your new pipes.

Feb 3, 2020
How's the pipes and baccy going?

Well I'm still waiting on mine to come in (it's shipping from Poland or something), but my wife's got here and looks awesome! We've smoked it twice now, sharing it, and we've both really enjoyed it! I do have a couple questions:

1. Should I tamp mid-smoke when I relight, or should the single tamp and relight at the beginning be enough?
2. Is it good/OK to stir the bowl mid-smoke?
3. When the pipe goes out, should I tap it out and/or scrape off the top layer of ash before relighting?
4. If we don't finish a whole bowl in one sitting, is it fine to let it sit until the next evening and smoke it, or should I toss what's left, clean it, and start fresh next time?

I'll post pics and stuff once my pipe comes in. So far my wife really likes the Butternut Burley and I really like the Chocolate Mousse! (Although I definitely understand now what y'all meant by pipe smoking is "weaker" than cigars. The flavors aren't nearly as in your face).

Thanks!

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
(Although I definitely understand now what y'all meant by pipe smoking is "weaker" than cigars. The flavors aren't nearly as in your face).

Thanks!
You aint smoking the right stuff if thats what you think. Try some dark flake, erinmore flake or 1792. Smoke it sitting down.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Just wanted to send well wishes to you and your wife on your pipe journey. There's a definite learbing curve, but it's a worthy hobby.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
1. Should I tamp mid-smoke when I relight, or should the single tamp and relight at the beginning be enough?
2. Is it good/OK to stir the bowl mid-smoke?
3. When the pipe goes out, should I tap it out and/or scrape off the top layer of ash before relighting?
4. If we don't finish a whole bowl in one sitting, is it fine to let it sit until the next evening and smoke it, or should I toss what's left, clean it, and start fresh next time?

1. The tamp mid bowl or whenever is to put the ember back in contact with unburned tobacco. There’s no hard and fast rule for when to do this. A loosening draw will suggest its time for a tamp. You will get a feel for it. You can tamp while gently drawing on it to keep it lit

2. That could mix ash through it, I don’t do that

3. Too much ash can smother the ember, but not necessarily, play it by ear

4. That’s up to you, if you don’t find a relit bowl to taste unpleasant then sure. If you do, dump it and start fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.