Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

R

Rattray

Sanding my morning away, I started to wonder if the inside of a vulcanite stem oxidizes. Moreso, how badly? For those of you who have worked on neglected estates, what's the best way to remove oxidization within the stem?

All best
It depends on the quality of the vulcanite. High quality vulcanite made in Germany has a low percentage of sulphur which reduces the oxidation in a significant way.
Pre - molded vulcanite stems, on the other hand, well that goes green pretty quickly.
There are various products on the market and they will be successful at various levels depending on the consistency of care provided.
Some guys that prefer the vulcanite stems eventually end up buying a buffing wheel which allows them to keep the oxidation under control.

Reactions: mingc and danimalia

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Ok I’ll bite... how the eff do you get a cord or rope through a pipe stem? Lol
Use a churchwarden pipe cleaner with tripoli compound rubbed onto it, only put the compound towards the center of the pipe cleaner, makes it easy to slide the pipe cleaner into the hole. Chuck one end into a vise etc.. and hold the other end with one hand, then slide the stem up and down with the other hand. ?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It depends on the quality of the vulcanite. High quality vulcanite made in Germany has a low percentage of sulphur which reduces the oxidation in a significant way.
Pre - molded vulcanite stems, on the other hand, well that goes green pretty quickly.
There are various products on the market and they will be successful at various levels depending on the consistency of care provided.
Some guys that prefer the vulcanite stems eventually end up buying a buffing wheel which allows them to keep the oxidation under control.
Ok, I'll bite this time. How the eff do you use a buffing wheel in the inside of a pipe stem?! :LOL:

Just kidding, man. I know what you meant.