PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think this was a part of my problem for sure haha...

I just spent another couple hours on two stems, mostly with a magic eraser, toothpaste (as a mild abrasive) and a damp rag. It definitely helped a lot with one of the stems (top in pic). I could polish it up more for sure, but it doesn't stink as bad now and looks half decent. The other stem (bottom in pic) still stinks, and the surface texture still feels granular and gritty. Maybe it just needs more elbow grease, but the other one looks way better from the same treatment.
View attachment 41878

Top stem in it's pipe, an old very well used Savinelli brushed bulldog.

View attachment 41879
I can tell that little one is a danish pipe. They had some shit ass vulcanite sometimes

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I remember years ago in tech college mounting steel samples in bakelite. I'm pretty sure bakelite and vulcanite are similar. I found this website: Restoring Vintage Bakelite - http://www.retrofixes.com/2013/08/restoring-vintage-bakelite.html?m=1

It says that bakelite breaks down into base chemicals over time, so I think what it is, is that you've removed the oxidation but the aroma is these base chemicals. Perhaps formaldehyde as suggested in the web page. So my theory is that you should pack it in with some charcoal and/or baking soda and leave it in the sun or on a dash board for a week and see if that removes the scent.
Nope. Vulcanite and Bakelite are two different substances.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have a couple Medico VFQ pipes with stems made out of some kind of nylon or something. No oxidising, and not hard like some acrylic. They get tooth dents easily, but they're super comfortable.

View attachment 41954
I love the tooth dents, then it’s like the pipe fits like a glove. But yeah, it’s not a deal breaker or anything, I’m not that picky but I love not having to work a stem back from that ugly puke green.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm pretty sure bakelite and vulcanite are similar
Not even in the same ballpark. Bakelite requires no substantial aftercare. The stem on this one was crafted from 80+ year old bakelite and has required no upkeep other than cleaning after smoking.

20180519_164612-jpg.257

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Keep them clean, oiled, and out of direct sunlight
That is 3 more things than you have to do with acrylic stems... I'm just lazy like that with my pipes. You all put oil on your stems? Mineral oil?

Every now and then I'll take them to the buffing wheel and buff them (attached to the pipes as @georged recommends, of course) using tripoli, white diamond and top it off with bit of carnauba wax.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That is 3 more things than you have to do with acrylic stems...

You don't clean them? And I've never seen a comfortable acrylic stem unless I never intend on clenching them.

You all put oil on your stems?

Obsidian

Every now and then I'll take them to the buffing wheel and buff them (attached to the pipes as @georged recommends, of course) using tripoli, white diamond

That will eventually wear down both stem and shank.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I apologize. I should have looked that up before posting. However, what do you think about the possibility that baking soda or charcoal would take the scent out?
Put it in a pouch of Captain Black it will never smell the same again...

Reactions: rajangan

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Methinks you still haven't sanded enough. Or if you've already succeeded in removing all the oxidation from the outside surface, you still have oxidation in the draft tube. How to remove the latter, I'm not sure.
Automotive valve grinding compound and then Flitz (tm) on a churchwarden bristle pipe cleaner. Secure one end of the pipe cleaner and work the stem back and forth while rotating. Some people have had luck using a slow speed drill chucked on the cleaner - I have not.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I run a pipe cleaner through and maybe wipe my slobber off the stem. None of your Savinelli pipes use acrylic stems? All of mine do. Not trying to sell anyone on Acrylic, I just happen to prefer it for several reasons.
A couple do, but the majority are pre 1970. The acrylic stemmed ones are display only including the Giubileo d'Oro 904 purchased earlier this year. Completely unsmokable as I prefer to clench that shape.

20200325_141710-jpg.23812

The pre '70s Giubileo d'Oro 9004s are perfectly comfortable though.?

20200603_135948-jpg.32120

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
A couple do, but the majority are pre 1970. The acrylic stemmed ones are display only including the Giubileo d'Oro 904 purchased earlier this year. Completely unsmokable as I prefer to clench that shape.

20200325_141710-jpg.23812

The pre '70s Giubileo d'Oro 9004s are perfectly comfortable though.?

20200603_135948-jpg.32120
Interesting! I’m a clencher and I love the way my Savinelli pipes feel in the mouth. Those are purdy pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.