Vulcan it stem seems to be oxidizing VERY quickly.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tourque,
No one called you anything, those are your words. I simply asked a few questions.
I only asked if you were, not that you did. Your said that claims of Obidisian being a great product are unsubstantiated, I am just trying to understand what that means.
stickframer, 4noggins is a very popular site for our Canadien brothers and they do carry Obidisian.
As said above, Obidisian is a preventative for keeping oxidization away from your stems. Once a stem is free of it, Obidisian will keep your stems lookingg better than any other product that I have ever tried.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
All I know is I have been using Obsidian oil for over 2 years - and I am still on the same $8 bottle - so cost really isn't an issue. I will say though that I don't know if it truly works. I do know that if a stem is already oxidized, then the obsidian doesnt really help, other than to make the stem look a little better for one smoke before the oxidation returns. I do use it on my vulcanite stems though, and for the most part they do look good, but I don't know if they would have looked any worse if I stopped using the obsidian oil.
My experience is much like Pecks.
I have a bottle of Obsidian Oil (ingredients are largely unknown) and food grade Mineral oil we use in the restaurants. I find them to be very similar and work equally well. The only difference is a giant bottle of Mineral oil runs around $4.

copper44

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
I remove oxidation by using a magic eraser, gently, until the oxidation is removed to the degree I'm happy with. Then apply olive oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.