PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
At around $200 - Bruno Nuttens Heritage (direct from him); Walt Canno Cardinal Housr (ditto).

Or, if you're looking Italian, Radice sells some nice pipes at around that price-point.
Ok but that's not "The same price" So what equals them at the 45-60$ price range I paid for my 4?

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Ok but that's not "The same price" So what equals them at the 45-60$ price range I paid for my 4?
45-60 isn't much of a gamble - but, honestly, almost any pipe is going to be better that doesn't quite literally fall in half after the first month.

That's a very small sample size, one pipe - but a pipe so badly designed that it's impossible to clean without breaking doesn't make me want to throw more money at the same maker. Especially when they continue to sell the same flawed pipes.

But to answer the question directly, I'd say Molina, MM cobs, old French factory pipes were better at the same price point.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
So, Iv'e had a bit of time with 2 Volkans now, both briar no morta. Overall, they smoke very well, briar finish is very nice, stems, 1 is well done, the other not so great. 1 has perfect drilling, the other is off centre but still smokes alright.
My Conclusion, fit, finish, and overall quality is I'd say pretty comparable to a new Peterson but at close to half the price. Far from Savinelli quality, but still a well enough made pipe for the price.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
So, Iv'e had a bit of time with 2 Volkans now, both briar no morta. Overall, they smoke very well, briar finish is very nice, stems, 1 is well done, the other not so great. 1 has perfect drilling, the other is off centre but still smokes alright.
My Conclusion, fit, finish, and overall quality is I'd say pretty comparable to a new Peterson but at close to half the price. Far from Savinelli quality, but still a well enough made pipe for the price.
After some time with them, would you prefer a Volkan or Savinelli?

Reactions: BROBS and jewman22

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
After some time with them, would you prefer a Volkan or Savinelli?
Savinelli any day of the week! Sav is better quality overall, although the rustication on the Volkan is more to my liking, the finish, drilling, grain, stem work and shape selection is of much better quality with Savinelli.
The Volkan is a nice unit, better than Peterson IMO, but not in the same league as Savinelli.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Savinelli any day of the week! Sav is better quality overall, although the rustication on the Volkan is more to my liking, the finish, drilling, grain, stem work and shape selection is of much better quality with Savinelli.
The Volkan is a nice unit, better than Peterson IMO, but not in the same league as Savinelli.
I have a few Sav's that were all around the £70 - £80 mark and they're all brilliant pipes for the money. Well made with great fit & finish. I really like the way they do their rustication.

Reactions: BROBS and jewman22
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Great products, Savinelli makes the best pipe for the money IMO.
I have a few Sav's that were all around the £70 - £80 mark and they're all brilliant pipes for the money. Well made with great fit & finish. I really like the way they do their rustication.
Thank you both.

I have a Volkan rhodesian on the way, but haven't seen a Savinelli shape that has caught my eye yet (though I will keep them peeled).

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Great information guys. Just makes the wait that much harder.
I'm up to 5 between Volkan Paronelli and Paronelli. Might actually see one someday.
This Covid tainted holiday season molasses paced over seas shipping thing is killing me.
I am not a patient man?‍♂️

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My Volkan rhodesian finally arrived. Decent pipe at a reasonable price.

So far the only complaint is the draw. I prefer a more open draw and this barely fits a pipe cleaner.

I'm happy with it so far and thankful it didn't get sent back to Italy for the wrong shipping address. It's a Christmas miracle.

Reactions: HopHand and BROBS

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Figured I would up date this now that 5 out of 6 pipes have arrived and I've been smoking them almost 2 weeks at about 8-10 bowls a day.
These are lovely lovely beautiful pipes at a GREAT price.
My most expensive cost me 60$ my cheapest 30$
All have nice stem fit and beautiful finishes with my Orange/red and Olive wood being two of the most beautiful pipes in my collection at any price point.
They all smoke very well. All but one is drilled exactly as you would expect and the one that is off. An Olivewood is drilled rather far off to the left yet still smokes just dandy.
One a rather dramaticly bent pipe won't pass a pipe cleaner into the bowl but will get all the way to the bowl which is nice as this pipe will gurgle a tad bit with wet Old Toby which is one of my all day smokes. The other bent wouldn't take a pipe cleaner at all at first but a little looking. I discovered a bit of slag left over from drilling used a stiff wire ran it down the pipe and it'll now take a cleaner perfectly.
All in all I couldn't ask for nicer pipes and will easily compare them to my 150$-180$ Savinellis and Peterson's?‍♂️ Let alone any of my under 100$ pipes from any company. I have 5 more coming that I happy paid 150-300$ for and will leave my experiences with them when they arrive.

Reactions: jewman22

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
I will add. I'm not the most experienced pipe owner around but with 90+ pipes in my current collection from most major makers both new and estates. I have a few examples to compare them to and feel confident making the comparison?‍♂️

Reactions: jewman22

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
got 2 more to post up. They were almost a month late.
BottegaLovat1.jpg
SquatBrandy1.jpg

1st is a Lovat Bottega, smokes great well finished, good drilling, but a bit heavy.
The second one they called an author, but it really isn't. It has a Brandy bowl, an oval shank and, I guess i'd call it a saddle stem. Bowl is pretty small on this one, good for flakes. It's from the Antiqua line.

Reactions: HopHand