PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Anybody ever watch the show Food Unwrapped? They did a great segment on vodka and gin recently. I never realized that gin is nothing more than flavoured vodka - ie in making gin they use vodka as a base and infuse it with juniper berries and sometimes some herbs.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Gin is flavored vodka? The hell you say! Do you know what then is the difference between infused vodka and gin?
Always hated gin, btw. Bourbon first (Kentucky Spirit), single malt second (Dalmore), then tequila (Herraduras not Patron) and vodka (Titos).

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Check the proof on a bottle of vodka compared with a bottle of gin. Gin is not flavoured vodka. They both have a grain alcohol base, but what each producer does with that base is very different.

Vodka is described as a colourless, odourless, flavourless alcoholic beverage.

Gin can have various colours as well as very distinct aromas and flavours and is in my opinion a far superior spirit.

Aug 1, 2012
Gin can be made from any grain-neutral spirit. Proof tells you nothing since everything you drink (unless it's everclear) has been diluted to some extent somewhere in the process. Since gin is infused (like tea) it takes on the flavors and sometimes colors of the stuff it's infused with. That's why vodka makes such a great base for gin as it is flavorless,colorless and mostly odorless. So yes, it is made from a kind of "vodka" but not necessarily the vodka you know well. It's just like the fact whiskey is made from beer, you wouldn't recognize it as beer but it is.

Dec 24, 2012
Hey don't shoot the messenger. I know shit about gin (I hate the stuff). All I know is that in this show they go behind the scenes to explore how various food and beverages are made and they visited the oldest gin distillery in London (or the UK, I can't remember) and this is what the guy said. Google Food Unwrapped S02E02 (ie episode 2 of season 2) - you can watch it for free on some streaming sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.