PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Got out of training early today and decided to visit the tobacco shops in Cincy. Ugh!! Spent an hour trying to get downtown in traffic. Spent 12$ to park then walked about 10 blocks to Straus tobacconist. Scored a Peterson 3p plug and an esoterica Tilbury. Drove back north to Bells tobacco. Again another hour in traffic. Snagged 2 tins of Peterson university flake.
Not an overly successful run. But not too shabby! I was pleased to find the 3p. It's sad to see the pipe tobacco squirreld away into a 4x4 corner while the rest of the shop is cigars.
Cincinnati, you have some of the worst drivers I've ever seen!! Lol

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Watching the car hauler that was too high to fit under bridge was pretty funny after sitting in traffic. :D

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I'm from Cincy. Parking downtown is a joke, we talk about that all the time. Drivers might be even worse in New England. Where are you from?
If you're in town again, try Carrousel. It's a hole in the wall in a somewhat run down neighborhood, but I think it's a great shop. Nice selection of estates for decent prices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFJXzpvf_zo

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Carrousel unfortunately closed its doors. Arnold was ready to finally retire. Although they were in talks with Bells (I believe it was Bells) about purchasing the shop. Arnold was originally supposed to close the doors in the beginning of March but was able to stay "open" until the middle of the month although there was almost no stock. I will miss Carrousel.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Davek I'm from Houston .. I was very happy to pick up a couple tins In the brick and mortars in your city. But god damn y'all can't drive! Lol

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Ugh...don't miss that traffic. I drove through there on my way back from Iowa and I absolutely HATED the traffic. All those bridges and such close exists had me thrown off. Made several wrong turns all in trying to get to Strauss to pick up some Sleepy Hollow, only to find out that they don' get any at that location and had to drive into Kentucky for the other location just to find out they were being delayed by a vendor on one of the sourced tobaccos they use to make it. I don't ever want to try driving through downtown Cincy again! Oh well, the Skyline chili was worth it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, that Skyline five-way is like Spackel, will cover a world of sin, if traffic doesn't spoil your appetite or give you indigestion first. Even in little old Raleigh N.C., our modest rush hours sometimes come to a standstill.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Carrousel unfortunately closed its doors. Arnold was ready to finally retire
Ouch. That really does suck. They are (were) just a few miles from me and on the way to many places I go.
Davek I'm from Houston .. I was very happy to pick up a couple tins In the brick and mortars in your city. But god damn y'all can't drive! Lol
Can't say I can argue with that. They *are* surprisingly bad in New England.
51S7cs1dbdL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Cincinnati has been trying to redo I-75 for about 40 years. It's always been brutal.
I do concur, Skyline does sooth the day after blues quite well. I love the cheese coney with plenty of their tabasco like hot sause on them! :mrgreen:

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Camp Washington Chile is my favorite. There are a few vendors of Cincinnati chile.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When in Cinci, visit the Ohio Book Store, if it's still there. Three or four floors of shelved used books, where you had to turn on the pull-string light switch at each level.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
When in Cinci, visit the Ohio Book Store, if it's still there. Three or four floors of shelved used books, where you had to turn on the pull-string light switch at each level.
Youse guys are tripping me down memory lane. I'm not sure if the Ohio Book Store is still there or not. I didn't even know they had the upper floors for the first few years I went. Never anyone on any of the upper levels. You could just sit down and read for a while. There's still a website.
https://www.ohiobookstore.net
aisles.jpg

davek

Mar 20, 2014
If you're ever downtown and already paid the exorbitant parking, the Carew Tower observation deck is nice and only a couple bucks. Right next to Fountain Square.
IMG_3265.JPG

a-view-from-the-carew-tower-observation-deck-in-downtown-cincinnati-HPP4M0.jpg

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I visited the tobacco shops I could. And picked up a couple of tins. But dear god. That skyline chile. It's like diarrhea on noodles. Y'all need to fly south and taste some real chile with Fritos! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.