PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
So, people rave about Virginia's and how much they love them, but not me. I know everyone is different but in general if you like the pipe I figure there is one blend out there of every type you might enjoy. Maybe Virginia's are like beer to my palate. I have tried almost 350 different beers in my life, some 190 just in the last 9 months and haven't found a one I like.
Below is a list of what I have at home and have tried, maybe you can recommend something else that will surely turn my thinking?
SG 1792 Flake

MacBaren Virginia Flake

GLP Jackknife Plug

GLP Triple Play

GLP/CD Tribute/First Responders

Orlik Golden Sliced

Peterson Sherlock Holmes

SG Black XX Rope
Now I do have a few tins I like that might be considered Virginia's I am not sure. I like Rattray's Hal O the Wynd, GLP Haddo's Delight and SG Grousemoor. Does the list above fall into a "different" Virginia category if the three I like are considered Virginia's?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you like Hal, try Rattray's Old Gowrie. Another fine one.
I would also recommend McCranie's Red Ribbon, and SG Best Brown - both faves of mine.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I was in the same boat not to long ago, I hated all virginia based blends! If a blend has virginia's in it I don't mind but if it is the main base I couldn't smoke it. I solved my problem by smoking nothing but a tin Orlick Golden Slices until it was gone and by the end of the tin I was actually starting to enjoy smoking it!

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
took me a long time before i could/would tolerate virginias--the past six months i have more or less forced myself to partake--most are still in the no camp--a couple aren't all that bad--it's a body chemistry thing--
still prefer burley based blends--a bit of virginia in burley is acceptable for me --

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake is wonderful, give it a try! It's pretty much the only straight VA I enjoy currently. Actually, I think I might get some more tomorrow... it's been awhile. :puffy:

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Virginias run a big gamut taste and presentation wise, and are in pretty much every tobacco you smoke, so I'm sure that there are some out there for you.

I would reccommend trying some McClelland No.24 and Blackwoods Flake, and maybe some Wessex Gold Brick Plug or Astley's #44.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
To me Janko, it sounds like you need the Perique to take the edge off of the Va.'s

(Why you group Grousemoor, a Lakeland scented smoke, with HOTW and Haddo's I can't really figure out.)

Exactly why do you dislike the Virginia's you've tried. Are they too sharp ("hot")? Bitey? Grassy? Sweet?
Absent this info, I'd take a stab and recommend Mac Baren Virginia #1 for a mild, rubbed-out flake,

and John Patton's Quadruple Virginia for ribbon cut -- or better, his Cool Hand Fluke (which is "Quad" with Perique.)
...Or, you could just continue to enjoy the three blends you've already found to be agreeable! :lol:

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
@ jankomatic: I don't see Peterson's University Flake or Dunhill Flake on your already tried list. The UF is a Va/Burley flake. The burley takes some of the bite out of the Va and it has a nice berry-like taste and aroma. Dunhill Flake is just a gift from the gods. Citrus, hay, fresh mown grass, no bite and a good dose of Vitamin N.

You might want to check out some of the McClelland Va's as well. Their blends have the notorious ketchup smell in the tin (a fermentation characteristic that does not show up in the smoke) but they make some of the best Virginia tobaccos around.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
Made a list of a few more to try, thanks guys.
@cortez Not grouping Grousemoor was just saying I like it and I "think" it is considered a Virginia.
I think the reason I don't like them is the harshness I guess, kinda hot and bitey to use two of cortezattic's words.

Status
Not open for further replies.