PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I may have overdone this with all the 'baccy I have and bought for this. I've already got LBF, LNF, FVF, Capstan Blue, and Cabbie's Mixture. Now I've got Sutliff slices, Escudo, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake and OGS on the way!

Where do I start? Which of the blends I do have should I start with first? Oh, the agony...

Reactions: Casual
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Read my post above. Suggestions?
I would say maybe Capstan or OGS. Then maybe work into the LNF. The Campaign Dark Flake is really good, but you may want to start with something lighter. I'm in no way a Virginia expert, but all you have listed are pretty good places to start.some maybe more than others. Good luck on your endeavor, my friend. You'll be a Virginia lover yet.

Reactions: gervais and crawdad

RedZeppelin

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2020
Hmmm. Am I doing it wrong? I'm a new smoker and am thoroughly enjoying my VA's/VApers.
Ya like what ya like, and don't what ya don't, I figure. The tobaccos kind of remind me of taste in music. Burleys make me think of bass heavy music. Low, down to earth, woodsy. VAs make me think of treble. High notes, cymbals, grassy, minty almost. Perique adds some midrange with rhythm guitar to fill it in and round it out. Latakia is like Metallica on steroids: too much can be punishing. Just the right amount and it's Nirvana.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Hmmm. Am I doing it wrong? I'm a new smoker and am thoroughly enjoying my VA's/VApers.
Ya like what ya like, and don't what ya don't, I figure. The tobaccos kind of remind me of taste in music. Burleys make me think of bass heavy music. Low, down to earth, woodsy. VAs make me think of treble. High notes, cymbals, grassy, minty almost. Perique adds some midrange with rhythm guitar to fill it in and round it out. Latakia is like Metallica on steroids: too much can be punishing. Just the right amount and it's Nirvana.
?

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Where do I start? Which of the blends I do have should I start with first?
The Capstan was the easiest for me to get a good smoke from when I was first starting with VA. I've never had good luck with OGS, so I've written it off. The Gawith flakes are great, but can be a pita until you get them dialed in. Make sure you try different moisture levels. I started to really enjoy VA only after I figured out that I had been drying it way too long, which made it hot and bitey.

jhand45

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
If you're not enjyong it, why bother? Sure, revisit it every now and then in case your pallete has changed but there is zero benefit in forcing it

Status
Not open for further replies.