PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cretodecristo

Lurker
Sep 13, 2022
Greetings, y’all!

As a green pipe smoker, I bought a bunch of 1oz bulk samples from smokingpipes.com to figure out what kind of quality tobacco I might like.

When I got to sampling the only Virginia blend I bought, Cornell & Diehl - Three Friars (had no idea about Three Nuns), I noticed that it left a sweet aftertaste that lasted hours. Is that normal for a Virginia blend?

FYI: I smoked it in a MM Country Gentleman cobb. Not sure if that makes a difference.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Greetings, y’all!

As a green pipe smoker, I bought a bunch of 1oz bulk samples from smokingpipes.com to figure out what kind of quality tobacco I might like.

When I got to sampling the only Virginia blend I bought, Cornell & Diehl - Three Friars (had no idea about Three Nuns), I noticed that it left a sweet aftertaste that lasted hours. Is that normal for a Virginia blend?

FYI: I smoked it in a MM Country Gentleman cobb. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Had to be the cob!!! I’m just kidding - I’ve never had the pleasure of one, but someday.

Virginias took me some time to appreciate and I’ve noticed the same, but my experience level is less than many.

Welcome!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Greetings, y’all!

Likely one of Virginia's best attributes for it's devotees. It is a delightful thing.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not sure that blend is a great representation of straight Virginia blends but happy you enjoyed it. I'd recommend trying Yorktown and Opening Night. Even better, try MB HH Pure Virginia, Capstan Blue, F&T CVP and perhaps GLP Union Square. I'm biased towards Virginia blends and think they're the ultimate pipe smoking experience.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'm not sure that blend is a great representation of straight Virginia blends but happy you enjoyed it. I'd recommend trying Yorktown and Opening Night. Even better, try MB HH Pure Virginia, Capstan Blue, F&T CVP and perhaps GLP Union Square. I'm biased towards Virginia blends and think they're the ultimate pipe smoking experience.
This and I might toss in Some F&T Special Brown Flake, there are differences in the sweetness / casings on some VAs some are a lite sugar sweetness, some more of a brown sugar and some a honey sweetness, like in Newminster 400 which is a fantastic bulk alternative, and then there are the additions of a little citrus in things like Orlik Golden Sliced. Many many VAs out there and it's enjoyable to try a few and experience the different sweetness notes you get.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’d seriously look for a tin of 2022 Cornell & Diehl Carolina Red Flake, it’s a small batch release, and pretty much sold out, I did spot a place that still has some.

This is a very mellow all day smoke, this would certainly be a nice intro in VAs, and if I bought a crap load of tins, I’d be happy to sell you one, but I only bought one.

Reactions: Cretodecristo