PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
My definition of an audiophile: Someone who likes audio gear and is never satisfied no matter how good his stuff is. I'm guilty of being one but my problem was solved by my wife and retiring on a fixed income. :cry:

For you guys who just want a good system at a reasonable price, you might want to check this guy out. He's down to earth and you can get some good info and ideas. puffy

Last edited:

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
But they're just 8 inches apart.

I'd be surprised if he could hear the stereo effect with them set up like that.

Jay.
Looks great. Consider a change in speaker placement. I t will add to your listening joy.
To parrot what others have said, if you are able to space those speakers out it will sound even better.
🤣 That's exactly what my Father in-law said! I know. Its a space issue. We may try to figure it out but for the moment we're just hurting for extra room.

Thank you gentlemen all the same, I'll update here if we're able to figure out a more suitable set up for our listening pleasure.

Reactions: Humblepipe
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
My definition of an audiophile: Someone who likes audio gear and is never satisfied no matter how good his stuff is. I'm guilty of being one but my problem was solved by my wife and retiring on a fixed income. :cry:

For you guys who just want a good system at a reasonable price, you might want to check this guy out. He's down to earth and you can get some good info and ideas. puffy

Steve is a friend of mine—I can also recommend his suggestions.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Over the years I've helped several friends set up their stereo to get the best sound they can. Here is one of the discs I use to test the sound quality. This will bring out the best of any system. (note who produced it) puffy

cd_wilson_audio__1653976612_cb1a395a.jpg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Speaking of vintage gear... Any of you guys ever see or hear one of these? The JBL Paragon speaker system from about 50-60 years ago. When I heard one I was at a dealer buying a pair of AR3a's for $225, and that was stretching my budget in 1971. The Paragon was $2,495, so that was that. puffy

s-l400.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: mawnansmiff

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Any of you guys have issues with your speakers cutting in and out occasionally?

Happened to me this evening while listening to a record. I changed it to FM and had the same issue (so at least its not the record player).

The connections at the back:
20240224_204451.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
New table I got at the end of last year. Rotated my old table to the living room set up and incorporated this to my main listening set up.
Very pleased with it so far, especially at its price point and for a new table.
View attachment 287606View attachment 287607
Wonderful turntable! I have the same turntable except it's white and has the Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. I know it's a little less expensive cartridge, but my speakers tend to be a little forward in the treble and I think the Nagaoka is a little smoother on the top end so it works well with my system. I don't think that these turntables can be beat for the money.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Wonderful turntable! I have the same turntable except it's white and has the Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. I know it's a little less expensive cartridge, but my speakers tend to be a little forward in the treble and I think the Nagaoka is a little smoother on the top end so it works well with my system. I don't think that these turntables can be beat for the money.
I was actually torn on the Nagqoka, I wanted to try it. I went with the Ortofon cause it was cheaper to get that with the table and buy the Nagaoka separately. I'm excited to try it out some time.
But I couldn't agree more - it's a fine table and hits above its price point in my opinion.

Reactions: agnosticpipe

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Back in the mid 60s when I was putting together my first system, I live in a place where there were no stereo shops. So I did not get a chance to audition equipment before I bought. I had to rely on what I read and that was mostly in STEREO REVIEW magazine. It seems their policy was they never heard a piece of equipment they didn't like... if it was made by an advertiser.

With little money and even less knowledge, I bought a Weathers turntable. It looked good and sounded good.... on paper. But, in a system that thing had more rumble than the Midnight Special. It wasn't long before I got rid of it and bought an AR (Acoustic Research) turntable. This was a huge improvement and I kept it for many years until I got a Marantz SLT and finally a Linn Sondek. That made 4 turntables in 40 years. Today, alas, I'm all digital. puffy

726392-03b13.jpg

ima6886iges.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any of you guys have issues with your speakers cutting in and out occasionally?

Happened to me this evening while listening to a record. I changed it to FM and had the same issue (so at least its not the record player).

The connections at the back:
View attachment 291252
I'd re-do all wired connections. Cut off the exposed wire, strip and check for corrosion in the clips. Good luck!

Reactions: Jbrewer2002

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Finally dialed in my vinyl set up. I built the bureau and then took it apart and built it again! 1976-77 era Pioneer turntable and receiver. 1975 Advent speakers. I also have an amp to push the signal out to some speakers on the deck (speaker cable through the floor, under the house, up through the deck). We get a lot of enjoyment out of this music machine ;)

View attachment 241025View attachment 241026
Amazing set up. Wish I could come over and hear it in person.

Reactions: Humblepipe