PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I know that the Drinkless model was not one of Kaywoodie's higher end pipes in the lineup, but the briar quality seems excellent and coincides well with the notion (as mentioned here and elsewhere) that Kaywoodie had some of the nicest briar ever used on pipes.
Actually, it was one of the higher end pipes.
Kaywoodie Drinkless, top stem cloverleaf and 4-digit code of '7780' and 'Imported Briar' I'm guessing late 30s or 40s on this one, but perhaps other Kaywoodie connoisseurs can chime in, as I'm still learning as I go.
Pretty narrow time frame for this one, around 1936-7, when Kaywoodie started using the term "imported briar" and dropped the four digits with the appearance of their "flame grain" grading.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Not sure how I missed this one. I have three MasterCraft pipes. The one in the rotation at that time had wire rustication, but some damage to the rim. I had purchased another after that with a bakelite stem, but some fool had glued the stem to the stummel. The third one is an unsmoked pot, but it has trouble taking a cleaner. I will have that one worked on as well as the first. How do they smoke? Surprisingly well. They could smoke better if the draw was opened up on them. I'll be doing that to the first and third. As for as the bakelite stem, I broke it, repaired it, and reinserted it. The pipe is more of a curiosity piece than anything else.

So far, I am not impressed, but then again, none of them say Algerian Briar, and from what I understand, for Mastercraft, that makes a difference.

The one I have smokes incredibly well, but to be honest I'm not well versed in pipes. My first 15 years, I had one pipe, a basic bent Nording.

What I've started collecting recently has been the most I've ever branched out. I've had a bit of a learning curve, but have since definitely been learning and growing (history wise w/ the American pipes and what to look for). I have tried to get the cheapest pipes I could get my hands on, to practice restoration since I know I'm going to make mistakes. Definitely made a few but its been a good journey so far.

I cleaned up the other Mastercraft I have (which has been repair) and believe I smoked it once since - a fine smoke. The other day I pulled out my first MC and it reconfirmed for me, wow, yes it is a good, no great, smoker!

I need to update this thread! The collection has significantly grown. I have a few more Kaywoodies, a early 30s Medico, a mid-late 30s medico (coming), HTL Royalton, and some others. There was a fabulous writeup on another forum I found concerning early Medicos that really helped to nail down the dating aspect via features.

Its interesting - the writeup on Reborn pipes concerning the Monark pipes was very dismissive of those pipes. I can tell that a good part of that review had to do with some frustrations that the writer had concerning that specific pipe's restoration. But I cannot disagree more. They seem very well built, attractive, and 'sturdy' is the best word I can find. They feel hefty and solid. I've cleaned up one. The other is in the queue. The look to be 1930s-1940s (I believe the Pat # on them was from early 1940). The jury is still out on their smoking qualities since I have not given them a good run, but I'm so very glad I picked them up. The briar was nearly flawless, with no fills at all, across both samples, with interesting and attractive grain.

Up on the list still: Briarcraft, Weber, Custombilt, Bertrams, WDC, Linkmans. The search is still far from over, but it has been very fun finding low cost good old fashioned American made pipes and taking the time to appreciate them and bring them up to snuff for another 80 years of honest work.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Actually, it was one of the higher end pipes.

Pretty narrow time frame for this one, around 1936-7, when Kaywoodie started using the term "imported briar" and dropped the four digits with the appearance of their "flame grain" grading.

I appreciate your thoughts, sablebrush. I have a healthy desire to keep learning about Kaywoodie, and have definitely taken a draw to them. Right now, I have 3 vintage - the one posted, then I found another that has some tells of an older Kaywoodie (clover on top of stem, 4 hole stinger) but was completely devoid of any brand stamp or markings. Just picked up a 'Custom Grain' 3 hole stinger w/ the circular clover on the side. I think it is from the late 60s. I hear there was a decline in quality w/ Kaywoodie from the mid 1950s and on, but you could have fooled me. The pipe feels very tight and solidly built. Briar quality is great. I'm stuck on finding old beat up Kaywoodies and can't help myself!

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Yes, Made in Brooklyn, or one of the other boroughs.

Linkman's, Emperor, Forecaster, L & H Stern, Mastercraft, Marxman, and Medico are some more American factory made pipes.

Was Mastercraft sort of like the Wally Frank pipes, where there was a hodge podge of makers and countries of origin? Most of the Mastercraft pipes I see have a 'France' stamp. Sure glad I wasn't too picky about that when I picked up my first one.

I've also taken an interest in Jobey pipes. I know they are later and it sounds like their origin is up for debate, but those hand-rubbed and Asti lines really hit it out of the park for me. No idea if they are US made or not. Sounds like info is sparse.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Jobey is one of those brands that will run the gambit of where and who made it. I think it is even difficult to know who owned the name during some of the time frames. I suggest you may want to try the following brands as well, some of which are interesting, odd, and can often be found in NOS condition. They are Pipe Maker, Marxman (its been mentioned several times before, Briar Lee as well as Pipes by Lee. We have an aficionado of the Pipes by Lee brand on this forum. I have found the first generation pipes and the second to be the finest in terms of build - they have seven and five point stars in the stem, respectively. I have yet to get a Gold Coast, which is a Lee second, but I am looking. There is a WDC with a special tube in it that I am thinking about getting. The only issue I have with Kaywoodie is that the end of the stinger is NOT removable and the pipes need to be re clocked from time to time, although that isn't hard to do. My American collection has the following 11 pipes makers in it:

1. Willard - can be a very good smoking pipe - made by Dr. Grabow
2. Medico - a silver overlay black pipe
3. Kaywoodie Thorn; Kaywoodie 4 hole stinger; Kaywoodie Sihlouette
4. Yellow Bole Imperial; And a Yellow Bole 4 Panel with a bakelite stem.
5. Dr. Grabow Linkman and a Dr. Grabow Viscount Blue
6. LHS Purex
7. Pipes by Lee - I have a seven pointed star 3 star, seven pointed star 2 star, a Five pointed 3 star, and two
each five pointed 3 star third generations, one which is NOS.
8. Briar Lee
9. Marxman 6 Panel, and two Marxman pipes that are NOS,
10. Pipe Maker
11. MasterCraft - one in excellent condition and two more that are a bit messed up but very unique looking pipes.

Except for the Kaywoodie pipes, all of the above would not be considered to be knock the ball out of the park pipes. My Charatons, Upshalls, Stanwells, and a few high end Italian brands fit that category as do all of my Dunhill's.

However, in terms of the pipes that I smoke the most - It would be my American made drugstore pipes mentioned above. Why? They are consistently good smokers that seem to take a beating and if something happens to them in terms of dropping, dinging, etc, it is just character, not a disaster. Plus, I don't know, call it patriotism. Misplaced as it might be. Glad to see another lover of Americana Pipes.

Last edited:

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
Paul Perri made pipes for many decades. The ones I own are excellent smokers. Fit and finish not the sharpest but nonetheless excellent smoking instruments.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Another example I see only mentioned rarely - Senlar.
I have 3 Senlar pipes that I enjoy & are all good smokers.

Here's one of them:
IMG_6755.jpeg
IMG_6754.jpeg

From pipedia.org:

"Senlar" - Pipes were made in Minnesota by pipe maker Wally Larsen who inverted his last name LAR SEN to come up with SEN LAR. The Saint Paul Pioneer Press nicknamed Larsen "The Great Dane Of The Pipe World" in 1973. Larsen's pipes were made in the basement of his Minnetonka home, with pipes selling in 1973 for as much as $75. Larsen learned the pipe making craft in the 1940's when an established pipe maker moved into the home next door. After observing this craftsman work for three years Larsen decided to make a pipe for himself. That first pipe got him some attention from fellow smokers and he sold his next nine before being able to keep another for himself.

Senlar pipes were apparently primarally sold in only three shops, St. Marie's and the Tobak Shop in St. Paul, and Tobaccoland in Rosedale. Larsen expressed difficulty keeping up with the demand of just these three outlets.

Larsen sought to make Senlar pipes "Look like a tree." Which he accomplished by using a whirling drill to carve a distinctive bark like finish on the pipe. It is a finish seen on most Senlars and Larsen regarded it as a sort of trademark.

He died in approximately 1988.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
I'll try to get some pictures up soon. The latest ones I picked up were an early to mid 1930s F Medico and I just got done cleaning up a very nice WDC made F Medico from the late 30s (rusticated) and it is a handsome little bent pot pocket pipe - smaller than I thought it was going to be, but I like smaller pipes (easier to clench) so I'm all about it. Still would like to find a nice early/mid 30s Yello Bole and Linkmans, but I'll be patient.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
I wanted to update this thread with some pictures of some of these great old American pipes that I'm finding and some of my restoration attempts - which has been a learning curve for sure, but learning I am.

This was one of my more recent finds, and checks a lot of boxes for me. Late 1930s Frank Medico bent nosewarmer -

Before (auction pic):
medicounrestored.JPG

And after (first smoke) -

1937Medicoafter.jpg

I still have a few spots on the stem I need to clean up, but I got a little impatient and wanted to try it! Blending the color was the hardest part. I had to redo the rim, as it had a rounded off front edge. Came out good and I love love love the craggy rustication (my favorite type). Based on a helpful post I found, these burly and partially-rusticated Medicos were made by WDC from about 1937 until somewhere around the start of WWII. The overall design and vision is excellent; the execution is a little rudimentary, but then they were trying to hit a pricepoint with these (around $1). But they clean up really well, and it smokes excellent. Big fan now.

Here it is with a friend, a 4-hole logo-less/unbranded Kaywoodie -

MedicoKaywoodie.jpg

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Regarding one of my earlier posts about the Monarchs, well, here is what I mean -

Monarch1.jpg
Monarch2.jpg

So far, I am very impressed with them. No fills (on my sampling of two), they feel solid or 'hefty', very well built and I love the little art deco touch on the stem. They are super easy to clock correctly. I really lucked out, as this auction had two of these and it flew under the radar. The second one I haven't touched yet, but it is every bit of this one's equal.

If you have a chance to score one of these Monarchs, I would definitely consider it and not let the Reborn Pipes (big fan, btw) scare you off.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Have a few more pipes coming my way, some random French pipes and a couple of Dr Shotton's Sanation pipes, which was an unusual design consisting of a metal tube going through the entire stummel of the pipe and terminating at the front of the bowl with a threaded plug. There is very little known about these pipes, so I am intrigued and curious about them and their smoking qualities. Will post more information and pictures of the pipes when they arrive.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Have a few more pipes coming my way, some random French pipes and a couple of Dr Shotton's Sanation pipes, which was an unusual design consisting of a metal tube going through the entire stummel of the pipe and terminating at the front of the bowl with a threaded plug. There is very little known about these pipes, so I am intrigued and curious about them and their smoking qualities. Will post more information and pictures of the pipes when they arrive.

Well, it is now November, and I have over 30 pipes now. Kaywoodies, Grabows, Yello Boles, Dr. Schottons, Monarchs, Mastercraft (Briarcraft), HLT, LHS, Sachs, Medico, etc etc.

I'm having a blast. I have a ton more holes in the collection that I would like to fill. Ansell's, Bertrams, Erlichs, and more. I haven't even began to touch custom or artisan stuff. My favorite is to find obscure, vintage American made pipes and have a gander at them. That and the Kaywoodies...and the Grabows. I dig the history and, well, cheap thrills. Keeps me off the streets.

I've also developed a soft-spot in my heart for French briars. Much like vintage bikes...they are not as fast and loud as Italians, but very relaxed and a pleasant trip! Some of my best smoking pipes are the French briars.

I'm still very impressed by the Monarchs. The grain isn't as clean as Kaywoodie, but solid, beautiful, and the construction...I can't ask for anything more.

Frank Medicos are by far the best bang-for-the-buck vintage pipes in my experience. A 1930s 'F' marked 'real briar' patent Medico is going to fly under the radar and the two examples I have smoke fabulous. They are cheap, and the fitment is a bit rudimentary, but they work. I don't know if it is too anecdotal or not, but my two examples have no fills. I don't think you could do better for $5-$12.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Some of the recent examples/acquisitions...

KWagedbruyere.jpg
Early to mid 1930s Kaywoodie. Hottest smoking pipe I have, which was very surprising. Tobacco sensitive. With the right stuff, it doesn't get as hot.

LinkmansGrabow.jpg
Linkman's Grabow - I've wanted one for a while now, and this seemed to be an uncommon shape, 8433. It still needs work...the stem is a tad overclocked and it was missing the propeller 'fill' and the fill job I did is not up to snuff. One of these days...

Smokemaster.jpg
Briarcraft/Smokemaster. This one fascinated me because it has the holes in the stem to accomodate a pipe cleaner. I dig the weird gimmick stuff like that for some reason. Still, a nicely made pipe. Would like to look for more Briarcraft stuff.

SACHS.jpg
Sachs - got played on this one! Not briar. Wartime, faux briar - painted grain. Still, meer lined, so it actually smokes well. I'd like to get a briar Sachs, which are evident by the 'radiator' stem fitment. Those fitments likely went away during WWII as well due to the metal shortages, so its easy to tell.

HLT.jpg
HLT Royalton - I liked the grain on this one, and the patina as well, so I just gave it a light cleaning, no sanding or major reworking of the stummel.

Next up will be to find a real briar Sachs, a Demuth is on the list, and I'm still keeping an eye out for the right Ehrlich. Also wouldn't mind a Lee, but harder to justify the price for one when I can get all these beautiful smoking examples for 1/2 the cost.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Anyone mention the early falcons? Those started in america not sure how dasy it would be to get ahold of one or even when they expatriated to become quintessentially british.
My understanding is that Barling, under Finlay's management, struck a deal to make Flacons at the Barling foactories, around 1962, though it might have been early in Imperial's taking over of Finlay, which would have been 1963.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob