PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've had a couple of bowls from a brick of La Breumeuse. The best part of it is the copious amounts of smoke it produces. But It's just not tasty enough for me and reminds me too much of cigarettes, smoked without inhaling. I can see the attraction though; very natural tasting, no bite, hardly any bitter, etc. It'd probably be very good in a RYO but my cigarette days are over.

banjoner

Lurker
Jun 4, 2018
As a French-Canadian by ancestry I tend to lean toward anything produced in the French diaspora and for me that includes Wallonia. The second I heard about this guy and read the NYT article, I ordered a brick of Le Petit Robin. Then one of Reserve du Patron. THEN La Brumeuse. These products are as breathtaking to me as they are unique. They burn so quick if you're not careful that it's almost like a pace car for enjoying other blends -but why would you bother. You've got semois.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I got a brick from all three variants, just have to get around to opening them. They have all been vacuum sealed and are awaiting their turn in line. I just hope I don't wait so long that they are no longer available!

I am not a huge fan of bellowing smoke, I guess it's the way it is!

Reactions: burleyboy

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Have had some Semois in the cart on more than one occasion but have yet to pull the trigger. It is a bit pricy but for something as grass roots as this stuff would imagine it to be worth every Penney.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love the stuff so much, that I started growing it a few years ago with some seeds that Jitterbugdude gave me. I like it in my widest chambered pipes. You really get those cigar flavor notes that way.
What ever happened to him? He gave me a bunch of samples of his home grown stuff some years back, I really, really enjoyed his Semoise! He had some great Oriental leaf as well.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Have had some Semois in the cart on more than one occasion but have yet to pull the trigger. It is a bit pricy but for something as grass roots as this stuff would imagine it to be worth every Penney.
Since it is so dry, you are getting a lot more tobacco than you normally would for 100 grams. Think it’s honestly a very fair price. I did rehydrate some to see how it would smoke, it takes to moisture well. Tasted pretty much the same to me and I’m pretty sure there is a reason why it comes dry... one of the reasons why is that I heard it gets moldy fairly easily when moist so I just smoke it dry. I still plan on trying my hand at blending with it. I think a bit added to OJK would ramp up the skank in that blend and make it all the more tastier.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think the petite robin has some other type of leaf in it. And is meant as an old school put it your pipe or roll it in newspaper (little historical joke about cigs). So if that's the only one you've tried try another one.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I've had all three, and the Patron is a happy medium to me. I would say it was dry, but in this case, it's exactly as it should be. I keep a backup on hand in a mason jar (with a little force, you can fit a package in complete with it's packaging). A must-try to a burleyphile I would say.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I've had a couple of bowls from a brick of La Breumeuse. The best part of it is the copious amounts of smoke it produces. But It's just not tasty enough for me and reminds me too much of cigarettes, smoked without inhaling. I can see the attraction though; very natural tasting, no bite, hardly any bitter, etc. It'd probably be very good in a RYO but my cigarette days are over.
I suspect it's used for both pipes and RYO, which I respect. It's a tobacco, to be used how you like.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a medium diameter deep bowl, to slow the burn and swallow a lot of leaf for these single leaf burley variants. A freehand cob (mine is natural finish) and a LaRocca poker do a fine job for me. If I could get a cigar as nuanced at this, I'd buy it, but it exceeds cigars for me.

Reactions: gamzultovah

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
as i've said - semois is definitely to be tried by all - though - you may find it lacking - I know I got bored of it within 6 months - have no desire to buy any more of it for eternity ;D

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I’ve got a brick of all three. Hoping to get around to opening one them soon.
So I’ve had the chance to smoke all three and they are not my cup of tea. The only flavor I get from all of them is earthy, funky mushrooms. I wish I got the rich maduro flavor some get. Not me. I get mushrooms and dirt.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Status
Not open for further replies.