PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I like a medium diameter deep bowl, to slow the burn and swallow a lot of leaf for these single leaf burley variants. A freehand cob (mine is natural finish) and a LaRocca poker do a fine job for me. If I could get a cigar as nuanced at this, I'd buy it, but it exceeds cigars for me.
I really like smoking Semoise in my freehand cob as well! Deep, narrow bowl serves this leaf great. It’s a quick burner so this pipe gives you a longer smoke.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
So I’ve had the chance to smoke all three and they are not my cup of tea. The only flavor I get from all of them is earthy, funky mushrooms. I wish I got the rich maduro flavor some get. Not me. I get mushrooms and dirt.
exactly what I was getting after a few months. Supposedly Mcconell Caribe is like a maduro chocolate and like semois -

Reactions: magicpiper

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Since it is so dry, you are getting a lot more tobacco than you normally would for 100 grams. Think it’s honestly a very fair price. I did rehydrate some to see how it would smoke, it takes to moisture well. Tasted pretty much the same to me and I’m pretty sure there is a reason why it comes dry... one of the reasons why is that I heard it gets moldy fairly easily when moist so I just smoke it dry. I still plan on trying my hand at blending with it. I think a bit added to OJK would ramp up the skank in that blend and make it all the more tastier.

Yeah have heard it is very dry and similar to D&R where the volume would be worth the price. Did not mean to make it sound like it's not worth it and am sure it's a great blend. Will end up with some in the den sooner or later as long as it is still available when I'm ready. Which version do you recommend?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Yeah have heard it is very dry and similar to D&R where the volume would be worth the price. Did not mean to make it sound like it's not worth it and am sure it's a great blend. Will end up with some in the den sooner or later as long as it is still available when I'm ready. Which version do you recommend?
I like it when the mood strikes me. I smoke Reserve du Patron. The cut reminds me of Grape Nuts cereal. Pack it tight. Smoke it slow, it can have some rough edges.

Reactions: Pipewizard420

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Thanks, is that a recommended starting point out of the three?
to chime in - you're probably better with one of the other two to get famliliar with the semois flavor(if available) - LPR has a Virginia added - I haven't tried it as metioned above I have fallen out with semois altogether and these blends are expensive - but if you are daring you can start with the LPR - I'm sure you'll taste semois in there

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I agree with wintergarden. I smoke du Patron. This seems to come out frequently. Tobaccopipes usually has a good stock and Smokingpipes on occasion. I found that Tabac is not on the perpetuously out of stock conundrum.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I tried this for the first time yesterday at Edward’s Pipe & Tobacco. My first impression was cigar-like, but extremely enjoyable. I could not believe how tight I had to pack it to get it to smoke right. A normal pack (for me) turned into half a bowl within the first few puffs...very enjoyable though.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX

I personally like the thick cut, the La Brumeuse.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You either like Semois or you don't, and there are a lot of guys that side with don't. It has an unusual flavor, and it was as if the palates of the don'ts just couldn't latch on. I really liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.