PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
A unique tobacco which seems sure to evoke a love it or hate it reaction. To describe it as unapologetically

direct would sum it up. Straight-up, clearly defined woody, cigar-like, earthy and robust. This semois is

not about subtlety, although smoked slowly La Brumeuse becomes less monochromatic and offers passing glimpses

of interesting accent notes.
Arriving quite dry but still springy, it is immediately ready to smoke.
The "tin note" is all at once of dry soil, old hay and the kind of spiciness that a good cigar can posess. It

finishes sweet on the nose with hints of leather. Very pleasant and intriguing it's in a way the opposite of

the moist figgy fruitiness a VaPer might have in the tin.
Easily lit and very easy burning the tobacco is undemanding on this count. Probably best enjoyed in a medium

sized bowl the initial puffs immediately bring to mind a medium bodied cigar with an emphasis on a dry woody

character with mellow cedar and oak coming to mind. The mouthfeel is full but not what you might call rich.
Big and bold like burley without the nuttiness, all of the flavor notes present themselves at once. This

tobacco could easily be intimidating in it's boldness but this impression fades as the bowl progresses. From

top to bottom the flavors don't really change much. There is no sharpness to the flavor but neither does it

seem overly smooth. Occasional notes of dark, almost burnt chocolate flit about the more commonly perceived

spicy notes. There is no doubt that this is simply tobacco unadorned by toppings, casings or even condimental leaf. The nic strength was moderate and not especially strong.
I could see La Brumeuse being something a pipe smoking cigar afficianado would enjoy.
I normally enjoy blends like Gaslight, Blue Mountain and Magnum Opus. To me La Brumeuse is a blend to be enjoyed when I'm in the mood for an especially robust smoke.
This semois is really in a class by itself and is difficult to lump together with any of the usual categories of blends. Although currently a bit hard to get it's well worth trying. Whether it lives up to the current hype would be for the individual smoker to decide. I can't see it being universally loved but I can see it attracting a devoted following.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Could you see Semois being used in a blend?

You could put anything into a blend, but why would you want to? IMO this is a tobacco that should be enjoyed by itself. It doesn't need anything to improve it, and I seriously doubt that it would add anything to a blend. I could be wrong here; it's happened before. I distinctly recall one time back in '09, but I really think that this is one tobacco that is intended to stand on its own, and does so quite well.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I had pondered whether it would work as an ingredient in a blend and couldn't think of other tobaccos that it would mesh with. Perhaps combined with a slightly sweet Virginia or maybe spiced with a touch of perique.
Semois is so distinctive and bold that I agree it's probably best enjoyed on its own.
Ren

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
La Brumeuse easily registers on the fingers of one hand as one of the very best tobaccos I've smoked, and unlike anything else. Rustic ((thanks to the Pipe Guys (PG) for this term)), earthy, floral with barnyard overtones. It's so good that I am in Hoard Mode with it, currently at 1100 g. It's not expensive nor is it cheap, but even so I have set 20 lbs cellared as my goal.
That could take some time and I hope it remains available to amass that amount.
The PGs on my query said that it is definitely not topped and is in fact a totally natural product. To me the florality is a bit sweet to the nose, not unlike what I believe STG put on Escudo a few years ago, but I'm fine to go with the PG's information.
This is a unique and sumptuous tobacco!

Status
Not open for further replies.