PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Damn good stuff there! I agree that this guys got the goods, most enjoyable youtube reviews I've seen, he's comfortable in his own skin, knows his shit and speaks well about it all --- especially dug his review of McC Dark Navy, reminded me of when I first smoked Dark Star, his expression when smellin' it was great, he said "pungent" :lol:
In a vid he did for 3Nuns he mentioned he was preparing something about the history of British bacco, which is a long intertwining tale, and I do hope he does do that some day because that's a big area of interest for me.
It's a damn shame us Yanks are banned from online UK sales 'cause I'd be buyin' up some St. Bruno from Gauntley's as well as tryin' out some of Glynn's own blends!
Thanks WithNail (named after the movie?) for this link and let Mr. Glynn Quelch know he now has an American fan club!

:)

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Mrlowercase - It's a huge shame that you can't buy from UK sellers with a US credit card. Glynn has made some very good blends, including one with a mighty 30% Perique! It's the pipe equivalent of a 5 alarm chilli and is wonderful on a cold Winters evening. I hope he is back posting more reviews soon as he is a natural in front of the camera.
Also - yes "Withnail" is in tribute to the film "Withnail & I". I also used it as a character name in the online games "Dark Age of Camelot" as well as "Warcraft".

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Its funny, this video led me to a bunch of other videos off this YouTube link. In one video, this guy was cutting a block of tobacco with a very small pocket knife and he comments "for those of you in America, carrying this knife outside would land me in jail because it locks". And its this tiny crappy little do nothing pocket knife. I just let out a big ol sigh as I was watching the rest of the video because I know its just a matter of time for me here since I carry a knife.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Oh well I guess its not gonna be possible for this Canadian to watch this video. Thats too bad cause it sounds like its quite interesting.
Check out his youtube channel and some of the videos should play. I watched the Three Nuns review, and as others stated often already, he's pretty darn good at it.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
he's pretty darn good at it.
He is! And he doesn't come off like he's some pontificating know-it-all or like he's trying to project some kind of image of what he thinks a pipe smoker should be. He's just himself: A guy who is clearly passionate about tobacco and smoking.
Did anyone else want to know where we can get those plastic "jars" that he was showing off in the original video here? I thought they were brilliant for short-term tobacco storage. Are they just an English thing or are they available in the States? (I wouldn't even know what to call them, exactly.)
Bob

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Mike - I've only used Gauntleys through mail order, but I'll add a note to n the comment section next time i place an order. You can feel his passion for the subject project from the screen. :)
Zonomo - Knife crime is a hot topic here in the UK. Gun laws have always been tight, but after a spree killer murdered over a dozen children in a primary school, public opinion and the government took the view that no one needs a weapon in their home. So, kids in gangs carry knives instead, which can be almost as deadly. Hence the crack down.
Bob - those jars do look great food storing bulk tobacco. To be honest, this video is the only time I've seen them. Most B&M tobacconists use screw top jars for their loose blends. I'll have to drop the shop an email to ask where they got them from.

Status
Not open for further replies.