PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not a secret, either, but Victoria, on scenic Vancouver Island, has a nice pipe shop. Not nice prices for tobacco, this being in Canada and all with their punitive tax rate. But here's the exterior, in the main part of downtown:
ajbq9Dv.jpg

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Beautiful front on that store...BC is a beautiful place...everything you could want from food to gorgeous flowers growing in people's yards.

Reactions: BROBS

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Victoria! A grand city indeed! More English than Canadian and, very proud of that. If you can ... it is a city to visit for sure. A well kept secret and a beautiful ferry (a day trip) ride from Seattle or Vancouver.

Jun 27, 2016
Nice shop! There's a chance that I might have been in there as a kid, on vacation with my family. We took the Seattle ferry to Victoria for a day, & I would always want to go into any tobacco shops whenever I would see one. If it's anywhere near where the ferry docks, then maybe! :puffy:

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Years ago I was studying marine mammals in the Straight of Juan de Fuca and would frequently visit lovely Victoria. It really is a pleasant city. South facing with a more mild climate than one might expect and importantly in a rain shadow (thanks to the Olympics) so not as wet as other places in the region. For continental USA folks it's just a hop skip and jump via ferry from Port Angeles in Washington.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice looking place. I Googled it and went to the website. The fancy green tile entry runs down the middle of the store and they have the last operating "Electrolier".
From the website:

E.A. Morris Tobacconist was established in 1892 on its present site in Victoria, British Columbia, and is one of the last remaining examples of pure high society in the city. As one of Canada’s oldest tobacconists it serves as a rare example of the early days of twentieth century retail in North America.
As you pass through the Alabaster archway into the store you can glance overhead at the fine examples of leaded glass that dome the entranceway. The interior, comprised primarily of mahogany, marble and onyx, was completed in 1910 and offers the environment a quaint air of “High Victorian” well suited to the typical patrons of this unique specialty shop.
The Electrolier that stands in the center of the store was crafted from a rare Mexican Onyx and is the last functioning model of its kind in the world. Purchased in 1910 for 250.00 dollars it is now a priceless piece of this beautiful city’s history.

Thanks for posting the pic.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Love Victoria especially the Butchart Gardens.
https://www.butchartgardens.com/

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Very cool. Makes me want to research cool tobacco stores and spend my vacation time traveling and visiting them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, but at $50 a pop and up, I'll stick to my cellar.
Very nice folks there, too. Looked at some pipes, but none fit my personal bill. The folks kindly topped up my butane lighter, and even marveled at it, a nice Kiribi Kabuto covered in tooled black leather. I wish I had had the time to find something to buy that I'd use.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another thing Victoria has is a castle. Built by one of the early prosperous families, Dunsmuir, it's about 80% restored.

Craigdorrach is the name, not far from the centre of town. Also close to the center.
My kind of guy: a fine room dedicated to smoking:
7cFLLQm.jpg

P

pipebuddy

+ 1 with Sean.
Old Morris practices prohibitive prices, oriented towards ripping off tourists seeking Cuban cigars. I lived in Victoria almost 10 years and was a regular customer of that shop.
There was a change of ownership around 2009 and the prices went up over 30% overnight. Needless to say, I protested to the owner and never went back.
Goodfellas, located on the corner of Johnson and Wharf (attached to the Market Square) has much more reasonable prices- well, for British Columbia, that is. And yes, the staff is great. James was behind the counter when I was there and not only was he knowledgeable but he was always in for a lengthy chat.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Totally missed Goodfellas. Would have gone there for the name, even if they were selling knitting wool.

Victoria is truly worth a detour.

And, yes, Balky, it's not far from the ferry docks.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.